Skip to main content

A Time of Thanks

The president of my fan club-my mother- told me that the other members of the fan club- her coworkers whom she forces to read this blog-said my musings are on the mean side. I'm sorry to hear this and sorry to let the fans down when I inform them that I will continue to offer the same sarcastic humor every week, centered on the shortcomings of the man I live with.
Don't tell anybody, but when no one is looking, I am sometimes nice to Andy. I may even hold his hand or rub his back when the curtains are closed or it's really dark outside.
Since it's Thanksgiving this week, I thought I'd take the time to tell you about this softer side and share just how lucky I am.
Andy is really smart; almost as smart as me! He's a wonderful writer, has great ideas and I'm really proud of his professional accomplishments. Whenever I meet someone, they ask me if I am married to Andrew.
He is also really cute; lucky me. My mom started the idea that he looks like Ben Affleck and we've heard it from complete strangers, including an old man at the local diner who yelled it to him as we were leaving.
He has made me a better person. I care more about other people and think less about myself. I now share my stuff and give good tips.
He never, ever makes comments about the attractiveness of other women and their body parts. He likes my body more now than before I had Caroline. Seriously.
He does all the dirty work around the house like changing the litter pans and plunging the toilets, which I refuse to do. I'll talk about his machine-like ability to accomplish things in another installment.
He's a great dad and I love to hear the daycare ladies talk about how his eyes light up when he sees her across the room at pick-up time. Or when he described, to a room full of my college friends, the "ins and outs" of cleaning a little girl after a poop.
But, best of all, I often forget that I haven't known him my entire life. He knows me inside in out and accepts me for my faults and strengths.
I have dreams that somehow we are not together and I spend the rest of the dream frantically trying to find him and tell him how much I love him. I wake up and reach over to touch his shoulder and make sure that he's still right there beside me.
There- are you happy? I may be my mother's daugher, loaded with caustic humor and venemous wit directed toward the opposite sex, but underneath that exterior is an amazingly happy wife who is very thankful for what she has. Now, go home and tell your dumb husband you love him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...