Skip to main content

The Importance of Walking Up the Hill

I have a slight anxiety about dying. It started a few years ago, mostly when I drove to work in the morning. I'd go from singing along to the radio, to contemplating the best place to find a parking spot to being painfully stricken with the thought that someday I'm going to die. It could be in five minutes or 50 years, but it's going to happen and what's it going to be like? Will I be scared? Will I know? Will it hurt? Will I be bored? My breath shortened and usually I'd start to cry and then the thought would be gone and I'd be back to the parking space search. I confessed the panic attacks to a friend in an email and her reply was, "You should be glad you have time to worry about this. The rest of us are worried about money, jobs and what the hell to do with our lives, let alone what to do when it's over." Not the warm, fuzzy support email I wanted, but nevertheless, she had a good point. The attacks started once I felt secure in life and at a time when I started to be happy and thankful for all I had around me: a wonderful husband, a loving family, a great home and a positive career path. I felt I had just started to live! How sad if it were taken away.

I haven't embraced the concept of death and moved on with my life. Actually, the fear has only escalated. Now, with a child, I have that much more to lose. Watching my child (and future children) grow into adulthood is my life's ambition. Watching my husband continue to succeed and share this crazy life with him is more than I could have hoped for. But then again, if I die before this all happens, will I "know" what I've missed? Will I be able to "watch from above", a non-physical bystander?

Two nights ago after dinner, we all went for a walk up the hill behind our house. Our neighbor's property is idyllic in every UpState New York way. Caroline now sees everything around her and pointed to the small, white moon in the sky and clapped her hands and pointed at the geese flying to the pond. She rolled in the grass and sighed as the wind blew softly on her cheeks. And in a moment of total, pure bliss, we both held one of her hands and walked back down the hill to our house. She, swiveling her head from one of us to the other, smiling and giggling and we, silently delighting in this event that five years ago we had no idea would make us so very happy.

Life. Life is mysterious. Life happens so fast. I thank all the parents out there who have reminded me of this and I remember. I remember to hold her just a little tighter, a little longer, to smell her hair and laugh a little harder. I remember to dance and be silly, to sing a song really loud and leave the dishes in the sink until after our post-dinner walk. And, while I may be tired when I wake up at 5:31 (yep, every day, like clock work) I'm more excited to round the corner and see that little person waiting for her morning hug from me. That's one more lucky day, one more wonderful morning I've been given.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...