Skip to main content

A New Kind of Doula

We all need a personal cheerleader, mentor, adopted parent or coach. When I went to graduate school I thought I'd spend my working days in a basement playing with old stuff. I thought that works of art and poetry influenced me the most. It wasn't until the last several years that I began to realize how many people have made an impact on me and that I want to give that care back.

Through fate and circumstance I'm becoming an actual career coach. I help young people figure out what they want to do with their lives. I love the clueless students the most because I am able to watch them grow and mature right before my eyes. I help them learn to hand in their back pack and pick up a briefcase and maybe understand that they're not going to be a CEO overnight. It's empowering to empower others.

I've benefitted from many coaches in my lifetime from the usual suspects- parents, relatives, teachers and bosses to my friends. Sometimes when we're down in the dumps, all we need to hear is, "You're doing good! Keep it up!" Over and over again. Whether it's a 9.3 mile road race or 16 hours of labor, I've never been alone while accomplishing my biggest goals. By friend Kate was my doula during Caroline's birth and she will always be a saint in my life for standing by me through every single contraction and push. It was all new to me and I was tired and scared. It felt less painful because of her constant words of encouragement.

Where am I going with this? Well, I've thought of a new career. A dental doula. I think every tooth in my mouth, including baby, have been worked on by a dentist. Starting in elementary school, I became a frequent visitor to the dentist's office. At least back then they drugged me up and I thought the chair was spinning around and around and the dentist was chasing me. And I got to pick a toy out of the toy chest after the appointment. Then it was the bizarre mouth piece they called braces used to fix my over bite. Every month, I sat in a chair for 30 minutes, staring at some lame framed photo of watercolor flowers, to only have the dentist come in tell me to bite and then respond, "Looking very good." At least it wasn't painful to my teeth even if it painfully depleted my parent's bank account.

Novacain. Drilling. Sweaty palms. That little water sucker spittling up in my face. The eyes staring down at me. The nose hairs. That damn little paper bib. And now, no toy at the end. Instead, I get to pay large bills for the pain I just endured. "Here, Melissa, come on over to the treasure chest and pick out a slip of paper! Maybe, if you're lucky, you'll get that nifty bill for $500 due at the time of services rendered!"

What if I'd had my dental doula beside me for all of these painful, traumatic visits? What if my saint Kate was sitting in a chair behind me, rubbing my shoulders, reminding me to breathe, interpreting what the dentist told me about what s/he was doing to me and would do next?

I didn't need any drugs during labor. Would a dental doula help me have a Novacain-free visit? "That's ok doc, just pull the tooth right out. I'm visualizing that I'm a flower petal. I'll slowly open and accept the pain. What?! Ooouch- that's my stamen you just ripped out of me you bastard!"

My dental doula would bring me a handmade, soft bib to wear and play a CD of motivational music made just for me. She'd wipe my sweaty brow and rub my curling feet. When at home, she'd gather a group of my BFFs to make me special get better shakes and other pureed foods. She'd schedule them to take turns visiting each night that first week to listen sympathetically to my dental story and even ask to see the tooth, if it was a good time for me and the tooth wasn't too crabby.

Dentists would like the doula because they could focus on the work and not even pretend like they are working on another human being with feelings, fears and phobias.

I wonder what kind of salary I could pull in as a dental doula? Any takers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...