Skip to main content

Mama D



Have you read Marley & Me? I've been thinking about that book a lot today. It's a classic story of a man and his dog. I love Marley because he is a less than perfect dog and his owner has a love/hate relationship that over time just becomes love.


Our pets are our family for better or worse. Dingo is our dog. Like most of our pets, we inherited her. She was born somewhere in New Mexico and roamed the land as a pup before being adopted by my brother-in-law. When he moved to Boston, she moved in with us.


I was incredibly reluctant to take her. Alright, I was enraged. The in-laws all tricked me into taking her by telling me they were going to put her down if we didn't let her live with us. It turns out she had a willing foster parent in New Mexico but they shipped her to us anyway.


I'll never forget our first day with her. I wanted to hate her just because she was a burden I did not want. That first night, I arrived home from work and it was raining. She was in the dog cage, huddling and waiting by the door. I ran right to her, opened the door and knelt down to embrace her. Her big brown eyes and wiggling body were hard not to like.


Those first few weeks weren't the easiest. I learned that Dingo likes to chase anything that moves and I should be careful not to let the leash wrap around my legs as she lurches forward. I learned that Dingo likes to eat and roll in dead stuff. I learned that Dingo has horribly bad gas.


I also learned that Mama Dingo is a wonderful surrogate mother who cared for each of the kittens as though they were her own. She is also my guardian and often, my companion. When I was pregnant, Dingo became incredibly defensive and protective of me. She is the same way with Caroline. Caroline, who she lets roll over her, ride her, squeeze her. They share food. They run around the yard and curl up in front of the stove together. When we walk into the mud room, Caroline pushes her face up against the door's window and yells excitedly for her "D! D! DD!"


Ten wood chucks. A squirrel and chick. Almost a rooster. She's a hunter and a killer. She brings her trophies to the front lawn, proudly displaying her kill. She loves to go for car rides and pushes her way out the door when we try to leave her behind. Her legs move wildly in her sleep, like she is chasing an animal in some beautiful, dream field.


Last night DD did not run to the door when we opened it. She didn't rush to eat her food or push Caroline out of the way to get to the door to pee. She just looked at me, her big eyes sad and her body shaking. We took her to the vet first thing this morning to learn the scary and sad news that Dingo probably has lymphoma cancer and 2-4 months to live.


Tonight Andy and Caroline took her for a long walk up the hills behind our house. I'm sure Caroline tried her best to keep up with Dingo who ran around her in circles. My best friend by accident, Dingo has been a steadfast companion and true member of our family. She's had a good life and she's given us so much love.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...