Skip to main content

My Latest Adventure

I've sipped margaritas at sunset while sitting on the beach in the Caribbean. I've swam at the foot of gorgeous waterfalls in a tropical rain forest. I've lounged on my back, looking up at the stars while listening to a symphony orchestra. I've heard the hush of the guards within the Sistine Chapel. I've felt the cold ocean water on my face at the Cliffs of Moor. I've sipped Turkish coffee on a carpet in the desert while smoking tobacco from a hukah pipe. And no, I'm not trying to impress you with my life's travels and entertainment.

I've been a few places and done a few things in my life and I'm blessed for all of the exciting adventures I've had and the many memories I've created with friends and loved ones. So many of these moments have been truly life changing and challenging. I've grown and matured, expanded my horizons and tested myself. I've stepped outside my comfort zone and have often been rewarded with a "pinch me" moment. So often, mid-experience, I've stopped for a second and soaked up the awesomeness of each opportunity.

Yet no experience to date, no matter how exciting, adventurous or exotic, compares to the millions of moments I've had over the last 2.4 years. Nor do any emotions on these trips compare to the profound feelings I have every day as a parent. There is no sunset as beautiful as the nightlight casting a soft glow on my daughter as she calmly sleeps in her crib. No symphony or expensive concert sounds as sweet as Caroline calling me from her room each morning. No spa visit, manicure, pedicure and massage feels as relaxing as curling up on the couch, Caroline's fingers softly brushing my cheek, one arm around my neck. Her lips turn to a slight smile as she searches my eyes and giggles, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy." I can not explain the emotion that starts in my heart and radiates to every part of me when I hold her close and feel her warm little body against mine. Who knew I had to travel no farther than my own couch to have the most life changing experience of all?

And no amount of pinching wakes me up from this adventure that I never could have imagined in my wildest, most exotic and fulfilling dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...