Skip to main content

Everybody's Doing It But Me

Everybody's having a baby but me. Ok, so that's an exaggeration. Some women are pregnant and I'm not even trying. It just seems like everywhere I look I see big, happy, baby bellies and when I look down all I see is a little, white, hairy pouch that never gets flatter no matter how many situps I do. Whether it be my friends, family, colleagues, stars on TV or strangers in the park, women are planning for the arrival of their second child and here I am planning for the arrival of my first fake tooth.
When we had Caroline, we never talked about having number two because we were so focused on number one. It seemed an unstated agreement between the two of us that we would make her a little brother or sister, we just didn't know about the timing. Last summer, I decided the timing was right and I was ready. Just as the "trying" was about to commence, all the business with my tooth started and our baby making was delayed. I am a control freak and do not like things to happen outside of my control. I also do not like change. The last eight months have been incredibly aggravating for me because my plans have been changed. A series of events have occurred outside of my control.
The months have allowed me time to think about what it means to have a second child. Maybe too much time. Between that fateful tooth removal and now, Caroline turned two. And with two years of life came temper tantrums, naptime refusals, picky eating habits and a whole lotta attitude. I'm so tired. I can barely handle one. How would I manage with two?
Every morning when it takes 25 minutes to get Caroline dressed and she slaps me because she is frustrated that her stroller is stuck in a corner, I look at the pouch and give it a little smile. A little fat doesn't need diapers. A little fat doesn't keep me up at night or puke on me. A little fat comes with me when we go out and therefore does not require a babysitter. Yes, she does need to be fed and she does like a walk now and then, but a little belly does not talk back, she is not picky and she doesn't run away from me in a parking lot.
For now, while I wait for the arrival of my fake tooth from the dental stork, I look at the pouch and try to find contentment in life's current situation. We are a happy family with a nice rhythm in place. I'm so lucky to have a healthy, beautiful, silly girl.
At night, after putting Caroline down for bed thirty minutes late because she had to watch Thomas thirty times, I watch a little TV. It is then that I rest a bowl of ice cream or a glass of wine on the belly-shelf and enjoy the anticipation of future-expectancy. Am I worried or sad that having another baby will make me lose my little pouch? No, of course not! After all, it will go away for a little while, but I know it is guaranteed to return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...