Skip to main content

Driving Miss Moe

I am interested in running for political office for one reason: mandatory annual driver's testing for those 65 and older. I know, I know, for any of you looking off into the horizon of your golden years you are automatically thinking I'm a young twerp who has it coming to her. I've had this idea for quite some time and I'll tell you why.

  • Back at home, an elderly man drove into the front of the same grocery store-TWICE.
  • Every time someone cuts me off while merging on the highway I see a little gray-haired- head peeking over the steering wheel.
  • Those same gray heads drive 20 in a 40 and 30 in a 60.
  • Many a garage door, rock and bumper has been damaged due to an AARP member confusing D with R.

My mom, who is approaching gray-haired -lady status, was down-right angry with me for mentioning my concern with our senior drivers. Fearing her own freedom will one day be taken away from her, she staunchly supports the elderly's ability to drive themselves here, there, everywhere and straight into the coffin. It seems Mom must have early-onset alzheimer's because she has forgotten hiding the keys from my cataract suffering grandmother who would push her walker out into the road, grumbling about getting into the car to go to town as well as the conspiracy about the TV screen always being blue.

She had all but forgotten until last week when Caroline, Mom and I were waiting for our grinder order at the pizza joint near my parent's house. The three of us were sitting on a bench, soaking up the sun and people watching when we noticed one of my silver-haired buds sitting in a brand spanking new Matrix. Like the folks in the cars around him, he looked as though he was waiting for the person with him who went in to pick up the take out. He has his head back as though he, too, was soaking in the afternoon sun.

After about 20 minutes, the man, without a companion having joined him, turned over the ignition and slowly rolled his car backwards and stopped directly in the path of any car coming into the parking lot from the highway. After about 3 or 4 minutes he rolled the car forward, and very close to a parked car, ever so slowly, like he just remembered his companion and hoped the slow roll would allow him or her to run over and hop in. Then he sat at the exit for several more minutes before cautiously pulling out in front of an on-coming car. He then chugged his way westbound and into the setting sun, most likely going 10 in a 30.

So, Mom, will you be the first to sign my petition to run for Office? It'll be locally, up here in New York, so it won't impact you. And if you do end up failing that mandatory driver's test that is so poular is becomes law in all 50 states, I promise to drive you to the grocery store, Wal-Mart and the Y's acquasize classes as many times as you want, just like you drove me to the Mall, to ballet class and to friends' houses every single week until I turned 16 and became the other half of the feared driver population.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

An Open "PM" to Polly

Hey Polly, it’s me- Melissa. Can I call you Polly? Because I feel like I know you. Do I know you? We’ve been in the same social media circles for many months now. I see from your profile that you went to Cornell. I have a lot of friends that graduated from there. It’s an awesome school. What year did you graduate? I also see that you’re self-employed. I really respect entrepreneurs, particularly female entrepreneurs. What’s your business? Are you a photographer because your Facebook profile picture of Doubleday Field is fantastic. I see that you don’t have any Facebook friends, Polly. I understand that. Are you lonely? It can be really lonely around here. Listen Polly, this election got really nasty but at the end of the day are all neighbors right? Do you want to meet, do you want to talk about it? Haven’t seen you on social media since the election. I totally get where you’re coming from, Polly. It’s been hard for me, too. When you put yourself out there with really strong opinio...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...