Skip to main content

What are you doing right now?

Today is the day! Today I challenge you, yes, you to unplug your life! Do you even remember how we lived our lives before technology? How did we communicate with colleagues, friends, parents, relatives and people whom we spoke with very little at some point in our lives and thought we would never, ever talk to again? How did we entertain ourselves, learn about the world around us or get from one destination to another? How did we learn to cook or buy goods? How did we survive when we didn't know what everyone we'd ever met and known did every minute of every day?

Frankly, it's a mystery to me and to almost everybody else. We must have tech-nesia because it seems we are totally unable to complete anything in our life without the aid of a tech-tool. The old-timers used to say that TV would be the end of civilization and was certainly to blame for ADHD. Compared to ipods and Blackberrys, facebook and Twitter, TV is equivalent to sitting around knitting in candlelight. A Gameboy is the ball and cup game and a Discman is the 8 track. An MTV music video (when they play one) is epic in length in the age of tweets, status updates and text messages.

I am to blame. I have IM'd Andy when he is sitting across the room from me. I could reach out and touch him but instead I write a message to him on his facebook page. I e-mail colleagues who are a wall away from me instead of getting up to talk to them face-to-face. I post PowerPoint presentations online instead of holding a workshop. I blindly place all of my faith in mapquest rather than pick up a map and try to figure out directions. Or, even worse, I listen to some lady on the TomTom bark play-by-play moves without even knowing which way to turn without her guidance. I write this blog instead of picking up the phone or writing you a letter to say, "Hey-this is what's going on with me this week. What about you? Is this happening to you, too?"

So, today is the day! After you are done reading this blog move your cursor to the little box in the upper-right-hand corner of the page and click on the box with an "X" in it. Then, click on all of the "X"s on all of the pages you have open-mapquest, weather.com, cnn.com, tweet deck, AIM, ebay and facebook. All of them. Write a nice out-of-office message that indicates that you are out of the office and you WILL NOT have access to email while you are gone and you WILL NOT be checking your messages periodically and you WILL not be checking voice mail. And then turn off the monitor or shut the laptop. Then, turn off your cell phone or Blackberry or iphone. Leave your ipod behind. And yes, turn off the TV.

Walk outside. Smile at the sunshine or clouds. Feel the wind on your skin. See what is around you whether it is concrete or grass or cars or mountains. See it for what it really is beause it is all that is important to you at this very moment. Acknowledge and say hello to the person walking by you. Find a friend, someone you really want to see and talk to her. Tell her how you are doing in MORE than 140 characters, ask her how she is and LISTEN to her more-than-140 character response. Have coffee or tea or a glass of wine. Go shopping. Read a paper. Write a postcard and send it. Ride a bike or go for a walk. Laugh. Have fun. Unplug. Take some photos of your activities. You can post them on FB via mobile upload on your way back to your car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

An Open "PM" to Polly

Hey Polly, it’s me- Melissa. Can I call you Polly? Because I feel like I know you. Do I know you? We’ve been in the same social media circles for many months now. I see from your profile that you went to Cornell. I have a lot of friends that graduated from there. It’s an awesome school. What year did you graduate? I also see that you’re self-employed. I really respect entrepreneurs, particularly female entrepreneurs. What’s your business? Are you a photographer because your Facebook profile picture of Doubleday Field is fantastic. I see that you don’t have any Facebook friends, Polly. I understand that. Are you lonely? It can be really lonely around here. Listen Polly, this election got really nasty but at the end of the day are all neighbors right? Do you want to meet, do you want to talk about it? Haven’t seen you on social media since the election. I totally get where you’re coming from, Polly. It’s been hard for me, too. When you put yourself out there with really strong opinio...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...