Skip to main content

Once Upon A Potty

Let's be honest, I'm not modest. As a kid I spent hours naked, running around my yard, changing in the back yard after swimming or in between outf changes at slumber parties. During my college years I was the first to jump in the lake for the late night skinny dip and a friend from my alma mater once told Andy she was pretty sure she'd seen me naked more than he has.

Growing up we had a small house and pretty much everyone had the same attitude as me, minus my poor dad. My mom, brother and me all left the doors open while bathing and using the toilet. Mom's bathtime was the best time for Mad Libs and confession-like life discussions, with she, the captive audience, behind the curtain and me pouring my heart out while sitting on the floor of the bathroom, occasionally sticking my head behind the curtain to make sure she was listening or to make fun of her mom body. The 1-1 time often ended with my brother running in with a cold cup of water to throw over the shower curtain onto my mom's head. The house was small and we all needed to live in it and often that meant seeing one another in some stage of nakedness. And like most kids, I never second guessed that this attitude toward the body was any different than the attitudes of every other household in America.

Along with my love of nudity comes my ease of discussing bodily functions. A friend of mine told me that we've never spoken without talking about poop. In fact, she says it only takes me 10 minutes or less to mention the word in some fashion. The words makes her squirm but I'm quite at home with it, so much that I could just say the word over and over. Poop. Poop. Poopy. Poop. It took me at least a year of living with Andy before I'd remember to close the door when using the toilet. "What do you mean you don't think it's appropriate to keep the discussion going while I'm in here? What's the big deal. Come here! I'm talking to you!" I've got a lot of poop and pee stories and I like hearing yours. I could just dedicate this whole blog to each of them, like the time when...well, never mind. I'll spare you.

What I'm trying to get at is that having a toddler is so much fun for me because I'm with someone who, whether or not she knows it, shares both my love of nudity and fascination with bodily functions. When you are potty training a child you can not be shy about body parts and their special functions. When she asks to "see my poopy" I invite her right in. Heck, I even let her flush. It's like I let her in on a really big secret. We're all doing it and now she can, too.

This morning Andy awkwardly called my name from the bathroom where I found Caroline peeing on the potty (Yeah!!) and pointing up at a just-showered Andy asking in her tiny voice, "What's that Daddy. What's THAT?" I jumped right in, eager to get the ball rolling on this exciting topic.

"Caroline. That's Daddy's PEEEEE-NIIS. Penis. Do you have a penis? No, what do girls have? Show me!"

Like the mimicking little monkey that a 2-year old can be, for the past few months Caroline has been quietly observing the new moms around us who have been busily and lovingly feeding their babies. I was a proud peacock the other day when she asked me to remove her dress so she could double football hold a beanie baby and a Cabbage Patch Kid while sitting in her rocker. She gently held the dolls to her chest, whispered sweet jibber jabber to them and said, "Shh, Mommy. Baby hungry. Booby."

As the sun set on this hazy, hot and humid summer night, Caroline strolled in the yard with nothing but her boots on. We watched the sky turn a blaze red and listened to the birds chirp happily. Then she grabbed her crotch and said, "I go pooppppppeeeeeee, Mommy!" and we ran inside and ended the night with an accident-free day, some celebratory chocolate chips and a read-through of Once Upon a Potty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...