Skip to main content

All You Need is Love

"How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough 'cuz I'm never, ever giving you up."

I'm in love, again. Call me a polygamist but right now I'm in love with two people. Well, make that three. Every parent of multiple children has told me it is incredible how we worry about not being able to love our second (or third, fourth) child as much as the first yet how easy it is to open your heart to make room for the next baby. I admit that I don't have quite as much time to spend staring at Charlotte as I did Caroline but thanks to Andy's super dad parenting of Caroline, I've been able to spend hours admiring every inch of my new baby.

Night is my favorite time to admire the miracle. It's probably because I am a bit delusional from lack of sleep and also because there is something magical about being awake at 3 am when you know the rest of the sane world is fast asleep. During these late night feedings I lazily lay on my side while Charlotte nurses. I close my eyes and gently rub her head, her hair, her ears, back and toes. When I finally get the energy to sit up and change her diaper I find her wide awake, her big eyes blinking up at me. She cooes and swivels her head back and forth looking at the shadows the bedside lamp casts around the room. I rub her tummy and the rolls on her legs and arms. We both drift back to sleep when I tuck her in my arms and rock her gently. I feel her chest rise and fall next to my own and it is hard for me to put her down back down to sleep alone. I keep my glasses on when I sleep (so glad I didn't buy a new pair since these are all crooked now) so I can easily peek at her. Occasionally, I wake up and can't fall back asleep until I put my face as close to hers as possible so I can hear her lightly breathing.

Since I've spent less time with Caroline over the past month, my time with her is very similar. Now, if I give her a bath, hold her in my arms, or stroke her hair while she lays next to me, I stare at her in amazement. She is huge! When did she get so big? Or is it because I am comparing her to Charlotte? I love to brush my finger along Caroline's chin and to look into her eyes when she smiles at me.

Yesterday afternoon I nursed Charlotte and rocked her to sleep as I watched from the window as Andy and Caroline played in the kiddie pool. I sat on the couch for a half hour, peeking out at the two of them laughing and splashing in the water and looking down at Charlotte as she contentedly grunted and rooted my arm in her sleep.

It is hard to believe that nine years ago Andy and I were two kids flirting with one another while trying to figure out what to do with our lives and now we have made a life together and two beautiful children. No matter how hard the day is, how many temper tantrums we extinguish or diapers we change, as every parent says, it is so worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...