Skip to main content

Oh the Places You'll Nurse

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You've just had a baby.
You're off and away!

You have milk in your breasts.
You have yet to snooze.
You are ready to feed your baby
any time you (and she) choose.

You feel like you are on your own. And you know what you know.

And you are the girl who will decide how it'll go.

You provide the food your baby eats. Look her over with care.
With your chest full of milk and your bag full of dipes,
you're armed with onesies and burp cloths and wipes.

And you may not need any
advice that folks give.
And we agree, of course,
it's your life you've gotta live.

It's scarier out there
in the new mom air.

Out there, babies happen
and frequently do
to people as nurturing
and loving as you.

And when baby starts to get hungry
don't worry. Don't stew.
Just pop out your boob,
you both know what to do.

Oh, the places you'll nurse!

On and on you will nurse.
And I know you'll nurse a lot.
And you'll grow your little baby
'til she turns into a tot.

You'll get tired, of course,
as you already know.
You'll feel mixed up
with many strange hormones as you go.

Be sure when you nurse,
feed with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to drink water and get plenty to eat .
And never, ever feel like your house should be neat.

Oh! The places you'll nurse!

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed).

Mom- you'll move mountains!

So..be your name Jane or Sarah or Kay,
or "I'm a new mom and I'm so tired I forgot to shower today,"
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your baby is waiting
so...get on with your way!


A quick list of the places I've nursed- with pride- and often, without coverage.

The Seneca Park Zoo, the Strong Museum, the Clark Sports Center shower area, gym and lounge five minutes after finishing a 5k, while interviewing a candidate for my boss's position, Doubleday Parking Lot, in front of the Inn at Cooperstown during a beer tasting, the dressing room at H&M, Three-Mile Point, Gilbert Lake, Glimmerglass State Park, my car-front and back seats, in a barn, under shady trees and in wide open fields, at picnics, by the ocean, at the dinner table, while walking Caroline, by the elbow, to time out, at my favorite restaurant, Alex and Ika, at my least favorite place to eat, McDonald's, on a plane, Kid City, Rough 'N Tumble, the farmer's market, the Farmers' Museum, in a bridesmaid's dress, at concerts, in church, in waiting rooms, in my garage, and on the couch.

I think I'm near the end of my nursing days. I'm hoping to make it to the close of the year, if I can. It seems my little bug is growing so fast and drinking more than I am able to pump for her. I'm feeling sentimental about it and worried that she won't be ready, or I won't be ready, to let go of something so central in both of our lives. With that said, I look forward to jogging without wearing two sports bras, not stressing about my pads sliding over and getting wet spots on my tops and not freaking about my work study student trying to open the door to my office when my top is down, my chest is totally exposed and I'm hooked up to a pumping machine.

Comments

Cute post! Hope to see you this week in Boston. And then you can add Boston to your list of places to nurse!

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...