Skip to main content

Twenty Minutes

A few Sundays ago, early in the morning, I put one child down for a nap while the other lazily rolled out of bed ready to veg on the couch, eat a waffle and watch Barney. I acted quickly on this rare opportunity and asked (I know, why do I feel that I need permission?) Andy if I could sneak back to the laundry room to walk on the treadmill. As fast as possible, I threw on running clothes and sneakers, knowing that at any minute a baby cry could end my potential work out. I dumped a load of laundry in the washer and spent the next twenty minutes listening to my ipod and speed walking. I'd cut out a 10-minute exercise plan from a women's magazine and carried it, and my yoga mat, to the living room, in hopes of catching an extra few leg lifts and sit ups. I tossed the mat next to the TV and tucked the exercise sheet underneath it for another day. Baby had awoken from her power nap and was rolling around on the floor, the preschooler was jumping from the couch to the floor, just inches from baby's giggling face. Daddy was in the kitchen making eggs and sort of watching the living room from the corner of one eye.

Later that morning, during baby's second power nap, I slipped away to the bathroom. As I stepped into the shower I heard the door open and close. Then I felt the cold, clammy shower curtain rub against my bare skin. I shrieked and yelled, "Stop!" A moment later a hand pushed the curtain toward me again. I stuck my head out to see both Andy and Caroline in the bathroom. "What?" he asked me, "I was just making sure the curtain was inside the shower and she copied me." I sighed, "Can't I get a minute to shower in peace?"

To which he answered, "A minute? You already got twenty minutes this morning on the treadmill." Ahh, silly woman, why would I assume that I could dedicate two separate times in one day just for myself?

Those precious moments have gotten me thinking about time. Twenty minutes is generally my maximum allotment for personal time on a daily basis. Yet, in a world with small children, that same amount of time can seem like an eternity. Here's a look at twenty minutes, the long and short of it.

When twenty minutes feels like 10 seconds:
A private shower;
Going to the bathroom, alone;
An uninterrupted phone call or email;
Watching TV;
Reading a book or magazine;
Shopping, alone;
A walk or run around town;
A child-free car ride, listening to loud music;
Snooze.

When twenty-minutes feels like four hours:
Tubby night that includes hair washing;
Cleaning up pee and poop from the carpet, cushions and bed;
Being on hold, waiting to speak to pediatrics at 8 am on a Monday morning;
Watching Barney;
Reading 5 stories at bedtime;
Checking out at the grocery store while one kid screams and the other crawls on the floor under the cart;
Pushing two strollers around town when kid decides she is too tired to push the umbrella stroller she insisted on taking along;
Screaming kids during a snowstorm drive;
3:30 am feedings.

I know that no matter how slow times seems to go when I'm with the kids, that it is actually flying by. On the one hand, it seems like it has been YEARS since I slept for more than 4 hours straight, and on the other it feels like just yesterday that I sat in the backseat while Andy drove me and Caroline home from the hospital. I look at Caroline and still see her big baby eyes and gummy smile. I've still got my baby belly and Charlotte is already crawling and jibber jabbering. I love to work out and I need my alone time but, these days, I'm not as upset if I miss the opportunity because a lost walk in the laundry room means more time cuddling and caring for my little girls. My kids will only be small once and my big butt will still be there, waiting to be sculpted when the time is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...