Skip to main content

In Support of Guns, To You Know, Kill the Zombies

I decided to add another resolution to my already ambitious list-learn how to properly handle and shoot a gun. What?! You say. This can't be? Really? If you know me you are thinking this for several reasons, the first being that I'm a card carrying liberal who supports pacifists, dislikes hunting and argues that guns kill too many innocent people. I've never really understood the passion people have for the right to bear arms or why you would tote a gun rack in the back of your pick up truck or have a hand gun as a hobby.

The other reason why you may question, or be in fear of, this decision, is due to my lack of common sense and an inability to understand the mechanics behind how things work. During freshman year of college my friend, Smitty, had to plug the phone into the jack for me because I didn't understand why the phone didn't work. Just a month ago, another friend, Sara (also known as "my other husband" because she does this kind of stuff all the time for me when Andy isn't around) had to replace the battery in one of the smoke detectors at my house. I brought her a chair, a new battery, and a screwdriver and that was as far as I could go in that situation. She changed it for me while I was out of the room and afterwards she told me she contemplated calling me in to explain to me step-by-step, but she then realized it would be useless.

I am that girl who can't change the wiper blades or put air in the tires on the car, or start the stove. As a matter of fact, I've driven my car on a flat tire knowing what that would do to the rim. Oh, and yes, I'm calling myself girl now to deny getting any older.

Back to the point. Why would anyone in their right mind allow me to shoot a gun? Thank you, America. Thank you Second Amendment. Remember, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." And so this, my faithful readers, is why I'm going to learn to shoot a gun. It is time to start a militia right her upstate New York. Andy and I spend a lot of time driving and when we're not bitching about something or yelling at the kids for making a racket in the back, we'll talk about what is happening in our fine world and what's going to happen in the future. We talk about how much money it's costing us to drive 50+ miles a day to work, how we need to expand our garden so it's not just a hobby but a real source of food for our family and how messed up it is that it hasn't snowed all winter and how several "historic" floods have plagued our region for the last five years. And zombies. Because, you know,you have to be prepared when the zombies come.

Popular culture loves zombies and Andy does, too. We've seen all of the zombie movies of late and a few are even on my list of all-time faves, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, and of course, now I'm addicted to The Walking Dead. Any conspiracy theorist would argue that these shows are not science fiction but a glimpse into the future. Your neighborhood crazy would tell you that there's an insane, diseased monkey living underground in a government laboratory, which at any moment will break its way out of a cage and attack the scientist who has been injecting it with viruses for the last ten years. We know what happens next.

I'm soo glad we live upstate. It will take the zombies longer to make their way up here because you know, it'll all start in The City. At first, I figured that as long as I surround myself with the ass-kicking people who have helped me in the past, (remember: air in tires, phone plugged in, stove started, battery changed)I would be ok. Then, I had a second thought: what if they sacrifice me to save themselves? Wouldn't you? If it's survival of the fittest, well, I'm going down.

Yep, it's offiial. I am definitely adding Apocalypse Prep to my New Year's resolution list. I'm also going to add -learn to change the smoke detector battery and -learn to add air to car tires, to the list.

Comments

phoeberl said…
This is why you can now buy Zombie Killer ammo! You know, just in case.

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...