Skip to main content

When a Dude with a Gun, in a Ski Mask, Ruined My Perfect Day

I had high hopes for today. Today was going to be the bomb. Today was the first day of my two week vacation (and by vacation I mean that I'll still do work, just not all of the time, and in my jammies.) and the babysitter was coming to watch the girls so that I could check off every itty bitty little thing that has piled up on my to-do list over the last few weeks. For the past several days, I had been day dreaming about today. It was going to be perfectly productive. I'd start the morning with a run, a glorious run since the Artic Tundra has temporarily melted. After my run, I was going to chill in the sauna at the gym. Yep. I was just going to sit there, naked, in that weird dark room, maybe with some other naked ladies and it was going to feel so awesome. After that I planned to go to Stagecoach, aka, the best darn coffee shop around, and get myself a coffee and bagel. Then off to the library to hammer through the last assignments of my career development class, aka, the class that never ends. When I had that all wrapped up I was going to buy wonderful last minute gifts at my favorite local shops. I'd then hum a happy tune while I skipped back to my car and smile all the way home to my darling little loves who were to be exhausted from a day of fun with someone much younger, and funner, with a ton more energy, than me. Feeling wholeheartedly accomplished, I'd cook them a scrumptious meal and we'd watch a holiday movie until they drifted off to sleepy time.

I told you I had high hopes for today. Well, my hopes went to hell in a hand basket. When the sitter arrived, I was nowhere near ready to leave the house and was already feeling the sands of time slipping away from me. As I tried to rush out the door, my cell phone rang and I saw it was from one of my dearest, and chattiest friends. There's no time for chatting, I thought to myself, but I couldn't resist so I answered. She told me she had a feeling I wasn't headed to work today and told me not to go into town because there were reports of a shooting. A shooting I cried! Aw, shit- there goes my day. I hung up the phone and announced to the family that we were officially on lock down. No swimming or bowling at the gym. No shopping, no classwork getting done. I contemplated going outside for my run but then thought better. What if I was running along, on some random back woods dirt road, and the shooter came along and, well, I am kinda stupid about running but I figured this wasn't the day to be Miss Super Committed to Running.

I begudgingly locked down in the laundry room and ran a few miles while watching Breaking Bad. Nothing like watching a few dudes almost get killed making meth to make you less worried about your own life. I then took a shower, sans sauna, sans naked ladies, and retired to my bedroom to knock off the last chapter of my class. Andy decided that he needed to turn our bedroom into the headquarters for Operation Andy Marietta Needs to Get Tons of Last Minute Stuff Done, so there we were, me on the bed and Andy in the arm chair. I typed. He coughed. I read. He coughed. I tried to think clearly and articulately and put those thoughts to words. He coughed until I was sure that something terrible and awful was going to come shooting out of his mouth. I started to sweat. He started to pound nails into the junky, cheap-o desk that we bought to go with Caroline's to-be-Santa-gifted computer. I drifted from my task at hand to IM'ing my friends about buying guns and starting a mom militia. Andy talked loudly on speaker phone. I fidgeted, crossing and uncrossing my legs. Andy coughed so violently that he almost fell over. I added Lysol spray to my mental grocery list. The list of items that I would get to buy if we ever got out of lock down and into town.

Police cars whizzed by our house. I watched as local friends posted pictures of Main Street blocked off, along with prayers, and friends from farther away posted about wishes for a peaceful and joyful holiday. I felt awful and scared. I felt thankful that my whole family was with me, safe in our home and that my friend had called and I hadn't gone to town. I felt like maybe I should get a gun. Or maybe people should just stop using guns as a reaction to their own feelings. I also felt annoyed. I had a lot of stuff to do today and now I was holed up in my bedroom with the Guiness Book of World Records record holder for most consecutive coughs in a minute. And then I felt guilty because I was so happy that he was right next to me and not in town where I'd be worried sick about him. Then I was angry and pissed that this is becoming so common place in our society that a non-fatal shooting in my little town today was basically NBD. And because, when we went to the movies this weekend, my first thought was that we'd never be able to get out of the theater alive if a shooter came in. And because I put Caroline on the bus every day and worry that her classroom is so close to the front door of the school. And because I have gone to Shooter on Campus safety workshops. And because I am someone who had never, ever considered owning a gun and now I wonder if it's not that bad of an idea, and not just because there could be a zombie apocalypse. Then I was so, so sad and scared because I am someone who has never, ever considered owning a gun and now I wonder it it's not that bad of an idea.

The shooter is still at large,likely far away by now. Main Streer re-opened and my perfect day was no longer perfect. I still managed to finish my classwork, despite some technological challenges, and I did get a coffee and the rest of my shopping completed. But I didn't skip and I didn't hum or smile. I felt on edge and nervous and numb. The day before Christmas eve and I'm pissed because some guy in a ski mask is firing shots in my little town. I'm pissed because all of this random violence disrupts the normalcy that makes every day perfect. We deserve that. We deserve perfect. We don't deserve people in ski masks shooting at us.

This is not intended to be a commentary on gun control and I don't need to tell you to hug your kids a little tighter tonight because you'll already do that. This is a reminder to me that every day that we are here, on this Earth, getting coughed on by the ones we love the most and fretting about our to-do lists, is the perfect day that can so easily be taken away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...