Skip to main content

I Worry. It Worries Me.

"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in

And stops my mind from wandering

Where it will go."

When I was 15 I would sit in the recliner at night, doing my homework, and I'd start to experience shortness of breath. After many nights of hyper-ventilation, my mom took me to the doctor, who performed a series of tests and determined that nothing was wrong with my body.

My mind was another story. I didn't have asthma or cancer or any other illness that had entered my mind during those few weeks. The doctor told me and my mom that I was likely experiencing anxiety each evening. He explained that it happens to many people during quiet moments in their day, and this is what he suggested was happening to me. When I was relaxed and idle at home, my mind would wander. When tasks weren't directly in front of me, distracting me, my brain would find a way to go to a dark place and get stuck there. This dark place of worry would, well, worry me, and the shortness of breath was a result of freaking out about anything and everything that I hadn't had time to worry about earlier in the day.

The good news was that I didn't have cancer and wouldn't have to worry, each night, about having cancer. The bad news was that I had some anxiety issues to deal with and would continue to have these issues into adulthood. I still worry all of the time about everything. I wish someone would have told me that having kids makes this worry thing a whole lot worse. I worry about the girls' health, what they eat, how much TV they watch. I worry about them making friends and doing well academically. I worry that they don't get enough sleep. I worry about their car seats and Caro riding the bus and driving them around in the winter. I worry about how well they are brushing their teeth and their general safety, well-being, and happiness. Yeah. (And I haven't even started on all the silly things I worry about not relating to the kids!)

Today, we went to the lake, and several parents helped me monitor our group of children as they splshed and frolicked in the water. All was well until I couldn't see head #2 playing beside head #1, #3, and #4. I darted to the water, ready to Baywatch dive into the lake looking for her. I could feel my heart in my throat. Then, another parent told me she was on the blanket, eating a snack. I felt like puking. All of a sudden my head was full of my facebook feed this week: every parent posting how drowning is the silent killer.

Last year we drove to the top of Whiteface Mountain and climbed around some rocks around the obervation tower. There were no rails and just thin air between my childrens' jumping bodies and the cold, hard abyss thousands of feet below. The sun was shining. The breeze gently caressed our skin. My kids smiled. They were so happy. Andy was chill. I was a mess. I scampered after them, tugging their arms and urging them to stay away from the edge of the rocks. The more I urged, the more they jumped around and the less anxious Andy seemed about the whole thing. I was pretty sure I was near fainting by the time we packed the kids in the car and made our way back down the mountain. I kept my glasses on during the ride, to hide the tears streaming down my face.

Thanks to loving my kids and being a anxious person, I spend a lot of evenings on my couch hyper-ventilating. I cry at least once a week on the way to work. The days are busy, so busy that I practically need to set a timer to remind myself to go to the bathroom. I don't have much space in my day to worry when I'm in meetings, running errands, rushing home, helping with homework, doing laundry, cleaning up cat puke, and watching YouTube videos of cute kittens. Yet, anxiety manages to sneak attack me in those small moments of quiet. Just when I think I am enjoying the lack of interference in my day, the rain gets it, and floods my mind with worry. I go from 0 to 60, from smiling about something nice to crying because I'm going to die some day. My heart races and I start to sweat and I feel trapped in my own fear.

After many years of fighting these moments, I have learned simple techniques to escape the rain. I have focus words and calming breaths. I rationalize. I think happy thoughts. I sing a song. I make a to-list of all the boring, mundane things I have to accommplish that day. Thanks to life requiring me to be level-headed and on-the-ball, I find that my anxiety doesn't often get the best of me; unless I sense that the children are in immediate danger, you know, like drowning, or climbing on huge rocks thousands of feet in the sky.I have found ways to manage my stress without it taking charge of me.

We all have fears to face, big and small, each and every day. While I can manage my anxiety, I'll never stop worrying. In the end, I'm glad that I have two amazing children to worry about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...