Skip to main content

Me and Fate: A Groovy Kind of Love

This is my confession. I've been thinking through this post for a long time. Finding the right words has been challenging and I hope that I can do justice to this message.

The world is a mysterious and magical place. I believe in fate. I believe that the universe speaks to us, if we are willing to listen. Yes, we must listen. If we listen very closely, we can hear messages. Very important messages. Messages from very important people.

I don't remember when I got my first message. It may have been in college. College is a tough time, full of end-of-teen/not-yet-an adult angst and studying, studying, and more studying. For me to study my best, I need music. I know it's odd but stuff seems to sink in when I'm listening to music. Music helps me focus. Music like that of the great Phil Collins.

To me, it's not a cooincidence that I hear Phil at least every day. And no, it's not because I have all of his albums downloaded on my ipod or that I have a Phil Collins Pandora channel. We only have about 4 radio stations, one is the christian channel and one is the country channel. That leaves only 2 radio stations and I'm in the car for about an hour each day.

He never fails me. I get lonely when I drive. I get contemplative. I get a bit sad. That's when it happens:

Don't give up

Keep running, keep hiding

Don't give up

Billy, if you know you're right

Don't give up

You know that I am on your side

Don't give up

Oh Billy, you better, you better, you better run for your life

My name's not Billy, I'm not running, or hiding but Phil is on my side. He's told me so. He has told me not to give up. My spirits lifted, instantly.

Say I've had a bad day. I feel like my house is a dump or I'm not making enough money. I'm at the grocery store, picking up milk:

He walks on, doesn't look back

He pretends he can't hear her

Starts to whistle as he crosses the street

Seems embarrassed to be there

Oh think twice, it's another day for

You and me in paradise

Oh think twice, it's just another day for you,

You and me in paradise

Phil. Phil. Phil. Phil. You bring me back to reality, man. My life is not hard. Thank you for that reminder.

I'm frustrated with someone. I just need to vent, burn off some steam. I'm at the gym, ready for a fast mile on the treadmill:

Well, if you told me you were drowning

I would not lend a hand

I've seen your face before my friend

But I don't know if you know who I am

Well, I was there and I saw what you did

I saw it with my own two eyes

So you can wipe off that grin,

I know where you've been

It's all been a pack of lies.

Phil! My man! I'm so with you, my friend. You can wipe off that grin! A pack of lies! Once again, Phil read my mind.

In good times and in bad, Phil is there for me. I'm out to dinner with Andy. I'm reminded by how much I love him:

Like a river to the sea

I will always be with you

And if you sail away

I will follow you

Give me one more night, give me just one more night

Oh one more night, cos I can't wait forever

That's poetry, Phil, that goes right to my heart cos the universe speaks to me.

I could go on and on about how important Phil is to me. I hear his words of wisdom wherever I go. Whether at the grocery store, the mall, restaurants, the gym, or on the one channel on the radio, Phil's art reaches me when I need. He picks me up when I'm down, he reconfirms when I'm happy, and he pumps me up when I need motivation.

Phil touches lives. He's touched mine. And now, I leave you with these words. Read the, hear them. Believe them:

I feel so good if I just say the word

Sussudio I just say the word

Oh Sussudio I just say the word

Oh Sussudio I'll say the word

Sussudio oh oh oh

Just say the word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...