Skip to main content

Blog of Substance

I just realized that a blogging buddy of mine has given me a blogging award! She has deemed my weekly ramblings as a "Blog of Substance." In order to accept this award I must:

1. Thank the blogger who awarded it to me.

2. Sum up my blogging philosophy, motivation and experience in five words.

3. Pass it on to 10 other blogs that have real substance.

Many thanks to Jessica, who started as my chemistry buddy in high school and has become a big supporter of my blog. Jess, it is people like you that have motivated me to keep writing about my life. When I first starting writing I only sent the link to my mom because I knew that she wouldn't (couldn't) ever tell me it sucked. Slowly, over time, I came out of the blog closet and have shared A Mom's Life with more and more friends until building the courage to feed the blog to my facebook page. Some day I want to publish this blog, on paper. Underneath the title will read, "Over 100,000 facebook thumbs up!"

My philosophy on blogging is to keep it real and keep it honest. I've written this before. Some readers do not like what I have to say, men in particular. I don't care. I'm writing for me. But I do really like it when others tell me that what I've written resonates with them. There is comfort is knowing we are not alone.

I have just four words to sum up my blog, and my life, which are:

I love my life.

Writing this blog has been the best way for me to let everyone know this. Being a mom and a wife have been the most challenging and by far, the most rewarding roles of my life. A Mom's Life is my way of saying thank you to karma, to God, to fate and to all of the amazing people who have touched me in some way.

There are so many amazing writers out there. I have to give props to BlogHer which has done an amazing job of uniting women bloggers and providing a place (on the web and in person) for women to come together in blogdom). So, that's the source I go to first when blog searching. The following list includes blogs I've greatly enjoyed and some new ones you have recommended to me. Happy reading!

An International Affair (my friend Jessica): womaninternational.blogspot.com- who is witty and honest, two things I highly value.
Kelle Hampton- specifically this post: www.kellehampton.com/2001/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html. Warning- this will make you cry.
Stand and Deliver www.rixarixa.blogspot.com
The Cloth Diaper Whisperer www.clothdiaperwhisperer.com helps me with my new obsession.
www.laraferroni.com because I love photos of food.
www.soulemama.com a lovely momma blog.
www.sleeptalkingman.blogspot.com because this is a fabulous idea and I wish Andy talked in his sleep.
www.laundryonalondonline.com Less for the words and more for the photos- I love laundry.
www.dance-photos.blogspot.com Again, not a blog to read but to view- because I always wanted to be a dancer.
www.collectingseptember11th.blogspot.com. I really don't like this blog but it is Andy's and he'd like for you to read it.

Comments

Awww... Thanks Melissa! I love reading your blog. In fact, it inspired me to start blogging myself. And very nice summary of your motivation for blogging. Hopefully soon we can be friends in real life again - look forward to catching up with you Stateside sometime soon. But until then, you know that I will keep reading!

BTW - I LOVE Sleep Talking Man. It's so hilarious. I wish I had a boyfriend who talked in his sleep. Actually, I will just settle for the boyfriend. ;)
UpStateMommy said…
Jess- yes, hope to SEE you soon! Andy does a bit of sleep talking. Mostly about work so it's not too funny. My mom talks in her sleep a lot and as kids we had a good time taling back to her!

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...