Skip to main content

Post-Baby Blues

I've been feeling down in the dumps lately. I've got a bit of the post-baby blues. Don't worry, I wouldn't say I am suffering from post partum depression. I have bonded nicely with my baby, I've stopped hating Andy (usually ends within the first six weeks after childbirth), and I don't cry uncontrollably. I've just hit a rough patch. Charlottte is now almost five months old and I'm back to work.

The grind is grinding on my terribly. While I'm a big planner, the amount of time and pre-planning that goes into preparing for each day is taking its toll. The days are getting longer and we start each morning before the sun rises. It's a frantic, choreographed modern dance routine where the four of us fling ourselves around one another (well, Charlotte rolls), grabbing tooth brushes, hair brushes, bananas and wake-me-up beverages (for me, still- decaf coffee) within a 60-minute span. We rush out the door, our hearts pumping, and the girls fortunately sleep or zone out while my brain transitions to work mode. This is when I make my work to-do list and contemplate how we can scrape up enough money so that I can stay home on a permanent basis. Then I could wear sweat pants every day and not wear these slacks I've sandwiched myself into. More on that in a bit.

An hour and ten minutes after leaving the house I arrive in my office, late, and with spit up either on my too-tight pants or over my shoulder. Not too late, just enough to feel frazzled. By the time I go to the bathroom, start up my computer, say hi to the colleagues and check email it is time to pump. For the next twenty minutes, three times daily, I hide in my office, try to think loving thoughts about my baby and make phone calls or type emails with my index finger. While I fully support breastfeeding and the benefits of mommy's milk for babies, I'm pretty sure that little machine is sucking the life right out of me. The rhythmic wish werr, wish werr could almost put me to sleep except that my nipples feel like they are being removed from the rest of my breasts.

It's a race to the finish line on the way out the door. I'm always the last parent to pick up the kiddos just moments before the close of the daycare. The ride home feels twice as long as the morning commute and I can barely get a meal on the table before it is bath and bed time. Piles of laundry follow me with hidden eyes, whispering "fold me. fold me." I weed through a basket looking for a clean pair of underwear and nursing bras and toss the rest back in the laundry room, shutting the door behind me.

The night is a mixture of insane dreams where I'm part of a traveling Swedish marching band (yes,that was a real dream) and 3-4 feedings. Morning is not really morning to me. It's just when everybody else decides to be awake with me. I'm 10 sleepless hours away from being cast in Zombieland 2 and not as Woody Harrelson's zombie killing side kick.

And now, let's talk about those how I look. In the few months after having a baby you get a get-out-of-jail-free card. It's ok that you still have a lumpy belly and wear your old glasses out in public. Everybody knows YOU JUST HAD A BABY. How else are you supposed to look but sleep deprived, frumpy and frazzled? Yet, somehow, four or five months later, when your little bambino is eating rice cereal and rolling onto her tummy, the masses have long forgotten that just twenty short weeks ago you gave birth. Suddenly, months faster than it grew, you wish the deflated lump would tighten back up and frankly, it'd be nice if it looked like it did when you were eighteen.

None of my pre-baby clothes fit (and maybe they never will) and I don't want to go out and buy any transitional clothes. Plus, we have no money as my entire paycheck covers two kids in daycare. I try to get away with wearing maternity pants and empire waisted tops to hide the
water bed belly. My hair is falling out in buckets and it was thin to begin with. I have the female version of a comb over. Again, Hollywood is calling me. I look all too much like our favorite Hobbit-gone-crazy as I lean over Charlotte and coo to her, "PRECIOUS."

It's ok. This too shall pass. This is what other moms tell me and what I tell myself. The post-baby blues are just a phase. I'll adjust to my life as a working mother of two children, buy some new clothes and invest in Kimora's body squeeze bra-thing that will make me look ten pounds thinner.

But, with all this said, I don't want it to pass. Come on! It was the best of times! It was the worst of times! Life after a baby is really hard and takes major mental, physical and emotional endurance but it is so worth it. In between all of the chaos I've described are joyous, peaceful moments. Every day, during these moments, I take mental snapshots of my children. I also take an abundance of actual snapshots of them, too, which is why each of them will one day be the proud owners of about 20 scrapbooks. I hug my girls close to me, feel the smoothness of their skin, smell them and kiss them and try to let these moments soak into my soul.

So, if you are looking for me you can find me down in the dumps. I'm way at the bottom, underneath a pile of stuffed animals, diapers, wipes, onsies and Barney DVDs. I'm wearing spit up sweat pants and I'm sneaking in a donut and a cup of caffeinated coffee before anyone catches me.

Comments

Awwww! I see you on Facebook and I think you look beautiful so don't sweat it. As you said, just enjoy the time with your kids and cherish every moment cuz someday you are going to look back and wish you had these times back (ok - maybe not the spit up part). And I think it's amazing that you can do all those things and still find time to write such wonderful posts!

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...