Skip to main content

Hallelujah

What an amazing gift I have been given. Having a child is faith that life is much bigger than you. Yes, at times she is annoying and is developing into a bit of a pest these days yet my face hurts from smiling so much. When I look at her my heart melts. In the car the other day, I left Andy to sit in the back. She held my hand. Her breathy way of saying "Nana" takes my own breath away.

My little love and I shared a day together this weekend for a trip to Albany. She was a total joy in the car ride and I adjusted the rear view mirror so I could watch her expression as we "talked." We covered the alphabet many, many times, counted all the words she can say and said them many, many times. And, as I usually like to do, we did some singing. It's been wonderfully scary watching Caroline react to the world and I get a kick out of her clapping when people clap on TV and when she dances to the Friendly's commercial. Back to the car ride: as we traversed historic route 20, the sun bright on our faces, we clapped our hands to Liza Jane, mimicked the chirps of the chickadee and blue jay and enjoyed every song on her folk baby CD. For a change of pace I threw in one of my mixes. And it happened. It happened once at our house so this time I thought it must be a coincidence.

Caroline does not like the Hallelujah song from Shrek. Actually, she hates it. It brings her to tears and not those of joy. I think it is a lovely song and in the privacy of my car I like to reach deep into my soul to belt out the ballad. The first few chords make her face scrunch up and the instant the singing begins her eyes well up and she breaks down. Her lips turn into a full-fledged grimace and she may actually be in pain. If I don't change the song she will lose control. Flip to the next track and it's as though nothing happened. I did this a few times (I know, I'm so mean) to really confirm what I was seeing. Sure thing, my child has an aversion to Hallelujah.

We finished the day with a recap of the alphabet, her entire vocabulary and a final run through of the folk baby CD. We didn't talk about or mention Hallelujah. Maybe like trying out new foods, I'll give it a try in a few more weeks. At least she can't throw a song she doesn't like upside down on the floor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...