Skip to main content

Play Time Ahead!

I'm worried about the summer. I won't be working for most of July and August and I'm looking forward to spending my days gardening, enjoying sunshine, fresh air and time with Caroline. What concerns me is what we'll do together. I'm not necessarily the advocate for scheduling every minute of my child's day. I have a new-mom friend who recently commented to me that she felt guilty for not offering educational activities to her child such as reading. The baby is less than a month old! A full breast and a clean diaper was about as stimulating as life got for my girl at that age.

I'm concerned because her daycare offers a warm, safe environment with continuous activities from playing outside to dancing, circle time and finger painting. A change from her day life, her activities at home include following Dingo around, pulling the cats' tails, shutting herself into rooms and vigorously attempting to get into all things out of reach. I've noticed that when Andy or I are busy talking to each other or one the phone, watching the news or doing chores, Caroline gets whiny and rambunctious. She is quite aware of her surroundings and her attention span has expanded, allowing her to actually play.

And play, I can not wait to do. Life as an adult can get pretty uncreative but a good childhood is full of creativity and imagination. We have started to color, which mostly involves pulling all the crayons out and throwing them on the floor. We also play peek-a-boo and a mini version of hide-and-seek (she hides behind my back and I say, "Where's Caroline?" She pops around my shoulder and screams and giggles when I looked shocked) . When we go for walks and the wind blows warmly on our cheeks, I tell her that the faeries are fluttering their wings. I can't wait to play dress up and house. I can't wait to introduce her to Disney movies and read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to her. To discover Harry Potter, the Babysitters Club, ballet lessons, gymnastics and bike riding. Or, it could be soccer, hunting, Girl Scouts and Lord of the Rings. She may not like what I did as a little girl but I know we will imagine together I will be taken far away from bills and work and chores.

I may not schedule play dates every day. I may not have pre-cut crafts for activity time or Italian-for-baby CDs. I will pretend boxes are mountains to climb, crayons are magic wands and buckets are helmets to wear into battle against the army of kitties. Anything to keep her from licking the computer plugs and making long distance phone calls!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f