Skip to main content

I'm so SAD

I'm feeling very sad lately. It's no surprise since I have seasonal affectiveness disorder (self-diagnosed on WebMD). I fit perfectly into the Internet Experts definition of a SAD person: I am a woman. I am between 15 and 55 and I live where hell froze over. I have all the symptoms: I am grumpy and anxious, I've gained weight, I eat tons of carbs and I'm tired all of the time.
I appreciate this quick diagnosis,which is why I'm such a huge fan of WebMD, but I have to say they are really only hitting the tip of the SAD iceberg in defining the additional symptoms of this cruelly depressing disorder. I'm crafting a list to send off to them in hopes they will add these to their list. You know, in case someone is on the fence about themselves and they need some more symptoms for comparison.
1. Dry, fly-away, flat hair;
2. Zitty, combination skin (super dry cheeks, super oily nose and chin);
3. Dry skin between eye brows that never seems to go away no matter how much moisturizer I apply there;
4. Chipped, brittle nails;
5. Giant, hard cuticles;
6. Polka dotted legs (translucent legs plus prickly hairs=hot);
7. Tutleneckitis;
8. Hair growing wildly where it really should be trimmed, oops, sorry about that 15-year-old boy lifeguard during Mommy and Me swim;
9. Stinky feet from big socks getting too hot once inside;
10. Anti-Jolie lips. I mean, come on, where are they? I'm still applying lip balm to the area which is now crusty and over rubbed looking.
11. Nose that is either super dry or running a marathon;
Shoot, look at me, going on and on. And, this just pertains to my looks! I haven't even started on how I feel!

WebMd recommends buying a special light and sitting under it. This should alleviate some of the SAD symptoms. Maybe I'll go spend $100 on one of these fancy lights. Maybe I'll put on my fat, puffy ski (no, I don't ski) coat, thick, stinky woolly socks, hat that keeps falling into my eyes, scarf that chokes me when I sit on it in the car, mismatched mittens and go out into the -20 windchilled wilderness. Maybe I'll pull with my entire might, the frozen car door, pray to hear the engine angrily turn over, and scrape a tiny circle of ice off of the windshield so I can see something when I am driving. Maybe I'll feel sweat drip down my butt crack when I chase Caroline around the house for 20 minutes, trapping her on the ground in a wrestling "figure 4" in order to get her coat, boots, hat and mittens on her body. Maybe then I strip out of my coat and mittens because I can not move my own appendages well enough to jam her into her car seat and again, hold her arms and legs down while I stuff her jacket against her body to buckle her into her car seat. Maybe I'll get out 1 mile down the road from the house when a windshield wiper gets caught in ice, on the windshield that I neglected to scrape away, and flies off down the street. Maybe then I have to run down the road to find it in a snow bank and run back to hear Caroline shrieking. Maybe then I have to drive 20 miles an hour because the snow drifts are so deep that the car fish tails every few minutes. Maybe I have to pull over again because Caroline wants her hat off and I decide to take her boots off as well to prevent her from kicking the back of my seat, making it very hard to concentrate when fish tailing through snow drifts.

Maybe we get to the closest store an hour later, go in and find that they are all sold out of special lights for SAD people because this whole damn state is full of depressed zombies in need of a day warmer than 30 degrees and the chance to wear a light fleece and maybe, just maybe, crack a window open, at least for an hour or two during the middle of the day.

Comments

phoeberl said…
I know!

Some claim CLO (Cod Liver Oil) helps fight SAD, but good luck finding one that goes down easy or else it might just become an additional to the list of reasons why we feel like shit.
Megan said…
This is EXACTLY why I prayed hard for John NOT to get transferred to Duluth. I, unlike you, could NOT survive! I mean this is why crazy movies are made: you mentioned "The Shining" already, but "Fargo" also comes to mind. People start using wood chippers and axes on others because of the weather :)

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f