Skip to main content

Do-Over

In honor of Ground Hog's Day and Bill Murray and inspired by Sarah's very perfect text message.

Do you ever wish that you could have a do-over? There are just so very many occasions that I've said or done something and pretty much instantly wished that I could turn back time and try that one again. I'd like to have a winter do-over.

After my last post I received several emails, texts and calls of concern and support. Thanks for caring and for the Valium, alcohol and vacation suggestions, all equally tantalizing and much more feasible than a good night's rest.

This past Wednesday I was on the phone with my mom, setting a date for her to watch the girls so Andy and I can go on a much needed, two-night mini-vacation. We were chatting about the places I've been researching for the last few weeks-affordable and relaxing vacation spots within a four-hour drive. I told her I'd ignored Andy's urging to return to Lake Placid and John Brown's house, where we've visited many times, and instead, had my heart set on Niagara Falls. She was encouraging me to book a hotel on the Canadian side when I heard Andy call my name. Charlotte was playing on the floor and whining to be picked up. Caroline was standing next to me, scratching her head. She'd been scratching it periodically for the last few days but I'd blown it off as dry skin.

"Hey- Melissa. Melissa. Do you think we should check her head for bugs?"

BUGS. "Mom, I have to go. Andy thinks Caroline has bugs. I'll call you back." And me, being the silly newbie parent that I am, I called the pediatric clinic, which should be on our speed dial, and asked them the big, stupid question, "How do I know if my kid has lice?"

The nurse started simply. "Tip her head over and look." I'm a smart girl and am not sure why I doubted my ability to determine if my kid had bugs in her hair. It took about 12 seconds to stare at Caroline's lovely golden locks and see little blacks things moving in her hair. We jumped into action. We stripped her down, Andy ran to the store and bought lice shampoo. Then, while he washed her hair and proceeded to comb out every strand, I bagged up all of her toys and stripped all fabrics and started, you guessed it, a million loads of laundry.

By the end of the night we were exhausted, the laundry piled up all around us, and feeling a little dirty. Hey, at least we caught it when we did and solved the problem. We ended the night tiredly debating whether or not to tell the daycare provider.

We did. Three days later and Caroline is officially bored and traumatized. She can't go to school, she has a lopsided bob, courtesy of moi, and is so sick of having her hair picked that she works herself into a dry heaving tizzy. Andy and I are at each other, wishing the other could make the problem go away and we have both had the razor in hand ready to fully eradicate the issue.

Did I mention that I leave on Monday for a 5-day, stress-filled work trip with 30 college students and my boss? Did I mention that I haven't really weaned Charlotte and have no idea how either of us is going to manage without the other? Did I mention that Andy was already stressed about me leaving and is now terrified to be left as the sole parent at the germ compound?

I feel like I'm trying to be all things to all people. I'm trying to be the best mom. I'm trying to prove myself to be a hard-working, reliable, smart and innovative employee. And I feel like I'm just screwing it all up. Why didn't I notice her itching her head? Why haven't I weaned the baby? How many more sick days can I take before my boss loses faith in me?

Like a volcano, my emotions and worries have been bubbling below the surface as my thick exterior kept it all in. Until today when Mount Melissa erupted. Just after hanging up the phone with the pediatric nurse, and learning that it can take three weeks to rid of lice, my boss stopped in my office to greet me. And I lost it. I couldn't even say hello to her. I erupted into a big heap of sobs and tears. Later in the day, during a staff meeting, I felt my head get light and my chest tightened and I knew I was having my first panic attack.

Life could be worse and this makes me feel worse. My kid doesn't have cancer. I have a good job. Andy is amazingly helpful and hands-on with the kids. He'd pick the nits out with his teeth if that's what would get the job done. So, why do I feel so bad? I feel like I'm trying to take care of everyone and have forgotten to take care of myself. Was today's volcanic eruption just a precursor to the "big one"?

Can I get a do-over? Things would be so much better if I could start again. I'd manage my time better, I'd be more aggressive about weaning. I wouldn't eat that container of ice cream. I'd look at Caroline's head the very first time she scratched.

Thank god for small miracles- and wine. I got home tonight, drank a glass of Chardonnay and told myself, "I can do this." We started the nit picking again. Around 8pm, it was time for Charlotte to go to bed. I brought her to her room, read her a story and plopped her on the ground to do a head check. While I was inspecting her, she pulled herself up on her bookshelf, turned her teeny little body my way, let go of the bookshelf and toddled three steps into my arms. A perfect, no need to do-over moment reminded me that, while I do not always understand, everything happens for a reason.

We'll look back at this and laugh- someday, but for now, I'm just glad that tomorrow is a new day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f