Skip to main content

This is the Real Deal

Last Thursday evening Andy and I piled into a room with lots of other moms and dads. We sat in tiny plastic chairs and nervously looked around at the other folks who uncomfortably positioned and repositioned their bums. Some faces were those of friends, people we have come to know from swim lessons, Saturday morning outings to the Farmer's Market and play dates at the playground. Others were strangers, people who live in our small town whom we've never crossed paths with before. We were all in the room for a common purpose and over the next 12 years, each and every face in the room will be familiar to us, as will the faces of their children. Welcome to kindergarten orientation.

As we listened to the kindergarten staff introduce themselves, I diligently took notes. Purchase: sturdy backpack, lunch bag, sneakers with laces, shirts that don't show off the belly. Bring to registration: birth certificate, proof of residency, kid. I shoulder bumped Andy (it wasn't hard to do since we were all sitting shoulder-to-shoulder) when they warned us not to stay too long during drop-off and when he stealthily pulled out his Blackberry half way through the presentation.

Then they turned down the lights and started the PowerPoint. Each teacher addressed a section from language arts to math and science. Pictures flashed on the screen of children practicing writing the alphabet, sitting in a circle clapping and running around the gym. In the dark, next to all the other anxious and excited parents, it hit me: this is the real deal. This is some serious school and I am about to be the parent of a school-age child.

I looked up at the images of the smiling children but my mind drifted. Four year flashed through my memory: telling Andy the news by giving him baby booties for Valentine's day; the ultrasound; holding her in my arms for the first time; hitting Andy with a diaper and both of us crying the day my mom left us alone with her; learning how to properly wash a little girl after numerous big poops; her toothy smile; watching her eat pasta; her terror and screams when we sang happy birthday to her for the first time; calling and emailing everyone we knew when she took her first steps; realizing she can stick her tongue up her nose; listening to her say mommy; the feeling of her soft skin when she wrapped her chubby little arms around my neck; her first pee pee on the potty; carrying her, football hold, away from numerous stores and playgrounds; all the way to present moment, her big, brown eyes smiling at me and our joking that she is 4 going on 14.

About 2 years ago, my co-worker told me her moment happened when she realized that she and her son were having a real conversation. Not just basic words exchanged and needs being demanded but an actual dialogue. I feel like, because of Charlotte's birth, I missed Caroline's transition from toddler to kid. She went from communicating with me about simple concepts (I'm hungry. I have to go pee.) to complex observations ( If I eat my dinner, I can have dessert.
I'm too tired to wipe after I pee.) She's tall and lanky and cranky and funny, sweet and incredibly caring. She has changed so much in four years and she has changed us. Life before Caroline is fuzzy. It doesn't matter as much to me.

Shortly after we arrived home from orientation I stepped on a small piece of glass. I whined while Andy got me tweezers. Caroline held a flashlight up, shining the light so I could see the tiny shard. I breathed deeply (I don't handle stuff like this well) and pinched the glass with the tweezers. Andy had long walked away. With her free arm, Caroline rubbed my back. She leaned toward my face and asked me, "Do you need your mommy and daddy?"

"Yes, that would be nice," I told her.

"Ok," she said, "Daddy can be your daddy. I can be your mommy."

Comments

I always love your blog posts. I read a lot of blogs these days but yours is still one of my absolute favorites. It's so real and so honest. Although I hate that you sometimes make me cry!

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f