Skip to main content

Don't Call Me Pat

Today, a colleague of mine, who I've not seen in several weeks, commented on my new pixie hair cut. "Wow! You got your hair cut!" he said, "It reminds me of, oh, what's that Saturday Night Live Skit? Oh, you know, Pat! It's very androgynous."

This is not the first time that someone has suggested that I look more like a man than a woman and frankly, I've been confused with being a dude on several occasions. From being called "Sir" repeatedly by a waiter to being cross-examined by the town clerk when applying for a marriage license, being mistaken for a man is not new to me.

Before I start my rant on gender I just want to stop for a moment and talk about why some people are incapable of giving a good compliment. I wonder if, or when, it occurred to him that calling me Pat wasn't going to make me feel good about my appearance. I would have liked to hear that my haircut was very Halle Berryesque or that it really showed off my pixie-like features.

A female colleague was with me for the conversation and as we left I mentioned that the comment was less than complimentary. She, who is always direct with me, stated, "Well, it's not exactly like you try to look feminine. I mean, you don't wear makeup and hardly ever wear dresses." She alluded to my androgynous look as being my modus operandi.

I relate whole-heartedly to being a woman. I'm definitely not from Mars. I fall into many female stereotypes and Andy would gladly create a check-list if I asked. I'm moody, emotional, a martyr, sensitive and irrational. Of course, these are stereotypes and just as many men can be described using these words.

Isn't who we are deep inside of us and not on the surface? Is what makes me feminine my love of scrap booking and Bath & Body works smelly lotions? Is Andy manly because he doesn't make the bed and he knows how to fix a leaky faucet? You can probably tell that I have a problem with gender roles. While I admit that I often fall into the gender-biased traps that society has set for us, I would argue that how individuals perceive their own gender is not one or the other but rather a fluid continuum.

Because my Mount Holyoke feminist texts are packed in storage, according to Wikipedia, "The World Health Organization defines gender as the result of socially constructed ideas about the behavior, actions, and roles a particular sex performs.[4] The beliefs, values and attitude taken up and exhibited by them is as per the agreeable norms of the society and the personal opinions of the person is not taken into the primary consideration of assignment of gender and imposition of gender roles as per the assigned gender.[4] Intersections and crossing of the prescribed boundaries have no place in the arena of the social construct of the term 'gender'."

I wear my hair short because it is thinning and the shorter the style, the thicker my hair appears. I wear pants most of the time because it's so cold here, tights cut into my belly and (when I was nursing) it's pretty odd to have to lift up your dress, and expose your lower half, to feed your baby. If my lack of feminine behavior makes you confused about where I fall on the continuum, so be it.

Shoot-it's not that my colleague called me androgynous that bugs me; it's that he called me Pat. Couldn't he have picked someone better looking or a little more likable, like the amazing actress Tilda Swinton or the adorable Justin Bieber?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been