Skip to main content

When You Give a Toddler a Sippy

If you give a todller a sippy cup,
she will throw it on the floor.
When you give her back the cup,
she'll shake it upside down on her tray.
Then she'll throw it back on the floor.
You'll have to tell her "all done."
She'll start to tear up, ball her fists
and cry "NOOOOO!"
She'll point at it with her finger.
You'll give in and hand it to her.
When she's all done eating she'll want to get out of her chair to play.
Except she'll see an old piece of macaroni in the chair.
When she's all done eating it, she'll want another piece.
She'll ask you for more.
Then you'll heat her more mac and she'll see the strawberries in the fridge.
Seeing the strawberries will make her crave fruit.
She'll rock her chair, bounce up and down and say, "berry, berry."
You'll cut up some fruit.
Once she has the fruit,
she'll squish it between her fingers.
You'll get her a wet paper towel.
She'll probably put it in her mouth.
The paper towel will remind her that she's hungry,
so she'll grunt for more strawberries.
You'll get her mac and fruit.
She'll point to a biscuit.
When she's no longer hungry,
she'll throw the rest on the floor.
Then she'll try to stand up in her high chair.
She'll see her sister drinking milk and having a snack!
And chances are, when her sister gives her some snack,
she'll want you to give her a sippy cup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...