Skip to main content

If I Were a Dad

I wonder what would happen if I decided to stop parenting? No, I don't mean if I ran away, as I've sometimes considered. Rather, what if I stopped being the primary parent? Have you ever heard the Beyonce song, "If I were a boy"? I have to sit back and consider, what would it be like, :If I were a Dad" or more specifically, "If I were Andy".

Some critics have suggested that Andy and I are raising free range chicken. I've even agreed that, at times, little Charlotte seems like a baby goat in a pen but that has less to do with our parenting and more to do with her penchant for dropping her food on the floor then picking it up to eat. I really look up to the militaristic parents whose children go to church and don't make a peep, whose children do what they are told before the end a count to five, and whose children are really, truly limited to 30 minutes of screen time a day.

I can't even begin to understand how to run a household like boot camp. Being the tree hugger that I am, it's always been against my nature to force people to behave in a certain way. Too may rules and too much structure freaks me out. With that said, I have a Type A personality and am very organized. I pride myself on being on time, I stick to a schedule, I've never lost my car keys, I limit screen time, my kids eat tons of fruit, they are in bed before 8, their immunizations are up-to-date, their outfits match and they always say please and thank you. I ensure their clothes fit and organize them by size and season. I make sure their shoes fit, their hair is trimmed, they always have a snack and a drink and their bags are packed for every trip. - TAKE THAT military moms!

Thanks to, ahem, me, we are a well oiled machine. When it comes to my little trolls, I am on the ball. My attention to offspring detail allows Andy to focus his attention on making the "big money!" for the family, cleaning those ever dirty litter pans, mowing the lawn and snow blowing the driveway and whatever else it is that Andy does with himself.

In the midst of managing the midgets tonight, while Andy talked on the phone (BTW, did you know that Andy actually becomes BLIND while talking on the phone? For reals.) I wondered, what would happen if either a) I wasn't here or b) I sat back and let Andy make the rules.

Begin dream sequence:

Morning: Child with tremendously large diaper (full of pee and 2 sizes too big) throws body weight on cat and drinks Diet Coke from a bottle. Older child sits on couch, eating chocolate, staring at television. Dad reads news on laptop (did I mention that interacting with computer also causes Andy blindness?)

Midday: The small child, wearing tights and a shirt backwards, carries a weed wacker around a lawn while the older child drags behind her a bag of trash and asks, "Daddy, when can we stop cleaning your apartments and go to the playground? You promised us after we cleaned all the lawns up we could swing!"

Evening (approximately 10 pm): Children jumping on couch and eating corn dogs while watching Strawberry Shortcake on iPad. Cat wearing toddler girl underpants and feather boa. Dad sits on couch, head nods, heavy with sleep. Older girl jumps over to Dad and covers him with pee-stinky-smelling blankie. Kids, cats and Dad all asleep on couch sometime around 11 pm.

I'm being a little narcissistic here. I'm aware that life would indeed go on without me and everyone would be just fine. Yes, the girls may not wear the cutest outfits and they might go to bed a little later and eat more sugar than I'd like, yet under Andy's guidance, they would thrive and grow into wonderful little people. However, ladies, let it be known that if, heaven forbid, something should happen to me, please help Andy get remarried. His new wife can even be really hot. As long as she promises to love and take care of my girls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...