Skip to main content

I'm Gonna Cry, Cry, Cry

I cry quite a bit. It's basically my reaction to just about everything. Whether I'm mad, glad, happy or sad, I'm going to bawl. I can try my very best to bury the tears inside but I have no poker face. As soon as I feel the air welling up in my chest, the lump in my throat, I'm a goner. Here's a brief list of the things I've cried over of late:

-The girls breaking the sunglasses my mother-in-law just bought me. I only wore them once!
-In a work meeting after watching a 9/11 Tribute.
-After reading or watching anything related to 9/11.
-Watching the commercial with the dad talking to his daughter before she drives away in the car, you know, the one where he sees her as a little girl and not a teen.
-Watching the girls warm up to Katy Perry's Firework before the Girls on the Run 5k.
-While running next to Caroline in the GOTR 5k.
-The very beginning of any race I've ever particpated in. There's something about watching others meet a goal, and me accomplishing my own goal, that chokes me up big time.
-Bedtime for the girls, at least once a week. There's a fine line between me keeping it together and losing it around 7:15pm.
-Watching my parents and in-laws play with the kids.
-During any St. Jude's or SPCA commercial.
-While reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. That damn book is so depressing.
-On Caroline's first day of school, after one of her classmates asked me if I was her Daddy. I cried inside a bit.
-The first day, and every day since, when putting Caroline on the bus.
-Watching Caroline sing and dance to Elizabeth Mitchell in concert and thinking about how I sang her these songs every day for the first year of her life.
-Looking at a recent photo where I clearly have a bald spot in the back of my head.
-When Charlotte squeezes my post baby kitty pouch.
-When my mom leaves after a weekend visit.
-At 5 am when Charlotte wakes up and I get her a bottle and I step in cat puke. And I clean it up and then I notice it is spewed all over the couch, too.
-Any time I open the door to Andy's office.
-When Andy yells at me for accidentally tipping over cleaning supplies in the laundry room. Just kidding. I totally ignore his ranting. It's like the adults in the Peanuts, you know?

I'm just an emotional basket case. My tears make some uncomfortable, especially Andy, but crying is a big part of who I am. And most of the time I cry because I'm happy. Or because I'm really tired and totally overwhelmed. It's all good though. Next time you are with me and I start to cry, please give me a hug because it helps. And if that's not your thing, maybe a pat on the shoulder? Or just give me some money. That's sure to put a smile on my face and I could buy myself some new sunglasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been