Skip to main content

NYR 2013

Happy New Year everyone! We celebrated the end of 2012 and the start of a new year in our typical fashion: we stuffed our faces with yummy food and fell asleep long before the ball dropped. I find it interesting that our new year falls at one of the coldest, bleakest times seasonally. How can we feel motivated to change our ways, to find hope for a better time, when it is dark and freezing out? After this lazy holiday week, I seem to have little motivation these days to do much more than take a shower and change out of my jammies. This is however, the first day of the new year and as always, I'm going to lay out my resolutions for the next 12 months. I'd like to start by looking back at what I resolved to do over the last 12 months and evaluate my success. Here's that list:

1. drink more water

Evaluation: Yes, going strong with drinking quite a bit of h2o!

2. cook more real food for myself and my family

Evaluation: Sadly, no. But, Andy has been cooking a lot and he's great at it! Good for him!

3. stress less about driving in the snow

Evaluation: This one was easy! It didn't snow for most of 2012. We've had over a foot and a half this week and thanks to my new-to-me AWD vehicle, I hope I'll drive with confidence in 2013.

4. do more yoga

Evaluation: Didn't even take one class and I'm stiff as a board. Must try for this again.

5. run in a road race of significant distance

Evaluation: Woot! Woot! A big fat YES for this one! I ran my first half-marathon and, after that, I kept on running. I've also found a great group of ladies to run with each weekend and that has helped me keep up my mileage. I'm not setting a specific goal for 2013 but plan to keep running as long as my body will allow me.

6. wear more sunblock

Evaluation: Not bad. We enjoyed an amazingly, sun-filled summer, complete with sun block. No sunburns for anyone.

7. spend less time on facebook

Evaluation: That's funny.

8. get published

Evaluation: That's even funnier.

9. get my scrapbooking up-to-date

Evaluation: This list is making me laugh, uncomfortably.

10. lay on a beach in a bikini

Evaluation: Ok, back to a yes, finally. Should I have done this? Probably not, but it was fun to check off the list anyway.

Being the arse that I am, in June, I decided to create an addendum to these resolutions! If it isn't hard enough to set goals and meet them, or realize 12 months later you didn't meet them, I had to add more! Here they are:

1. Ride a bicycle

Evaluation: Nope. I really want to do this, though! I'd like to add here that I did kayak quite a bit this year, yeah!

2. Read a book a month.

Evaluation: Yes! Thanks to my Kindle, I have been reading all year. I regret that the list includes 75% of the 50 Shades Series though. Oh my.

3. Decrease my floppy cat belly.

Evaluation: It's still there, and always will be, but thanks to 1/2 marathon training, I'm back to my wedding day weight!

4. Keep running. (See above)

5. Develop a British accent

Evaluation: I have got, got, got to get on this in 2013. It is so, so important.

7.Don't sweat the small stuff.

Evaluation: This leads me to 2013. As you can see, many of my resolutions, of the original and addendum lists, are ongoing. Even for those I accomplished, the work continues. I have to keep running, keep drinking water, keep wearing sunblock. For me, once I've added a goal to this list it never goes away. It seems that my resolutions are ever-increasing and that is very daunting. So, rather than list any specific goals today (which I have, and will track in my head), I'm going to announce one goal to the world, or you, my single reader.

2013 NYR: (drum roll, please...

Be kinder to myself. Accept who I am, where I am right now, what I look like, sound like, what I say, how clean my house is, how I parent, my professional performance, and my ability to be a friend and spouse.

This may be the hardest resolution I've ever set for myself. Remind me, if I don't accomplish it, that I'll still be ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...