Skip to main content

No Food For You

I don't agree with women who say they don't want to have a baby because it will "ruin their body." With that said, I have yet to lose the last ten pounds of baby weight I packed on during my pregnancy. I haven't dropped a pound since February. As I drag my butt to the gym and painfully jog 1.5 miles on the treadmill, I think back to the days when I got up at 6 am and ran 6-7 miles around town before even starting my work day.

Lately, my morning exercise is running around the house, putting Caroline's clothes on limb by limb. She thinks it's a game and she giggles, one arm in onsie, one out, as I chase her down the hall, pants and socks in hand. After 15 minutes, I manage to get her fully dressed.

Back to that treadmill. I have managed to negotiate an hour one evening a week to go to the gym and attempt to do something to the flour sack attached to my waist. This Monday, I got home at 5:30 and quickly fed the pets and changed my clothes and almost as soon as Andy was in the door, I was out. I was able to yell as I hurried out, "Try to keep Caroline awake until I get home so I can put her to bed!"

When I got home, Caroline was in her jammies in Andy's arms, happily sucking down her bottle. Excellent-I got in my workout and my baby is ready for bed. Andy even made dinner for us as I sang Caroline her good night song and showered. Miracles DO happen.

The next morning while grabbing breakfast, I noticed the leftovers from Caroline's dinner two nights ago, which was suppossed to be eaten Monday night. Thinking Andy opened up a brand new container of baby food and ready to reprimand him for wasting, I asked, "Andy- what did you feed Caroline for dinner last night?" To which he replied, " You didn't tell me to feed her so I didn't."

So, if she poops her pants and I'm not there to tell him to change her, does he? I thought dinner feedings were a given by now, but this was my latest lesson from the Mommy Rule Book: Do not assume in your absence that your spouse will do what you do every single day, right under his nose.

While annoyed at my husband's lack of observation, I have to be happy about this trait. He barely notices that I no longer have the slight, athletic body I once had and the only sack of flour he sees is in the pantry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f