Skip to main content

My Pet

She carries things in her mouth. She follows us around the house. She gets into the toilet paper, unravels it and eats it. She does tricks on command. No, it's not our dog. It's our baby, Caroline!
Sure, she was fun as a newborn when we were thoroughly entertained to watch her sleep in her bassinet. We continued to be amused and delighted as she learned to sit up and hold her own bottle. The fun has really begun the past few months as it seems she learns something new by the day. Better than any TV show, Caroline is the highlight around the house. There is nothing better than sharing her latest trick with Andy from waving good bye to mimicking "All done!" after she's finished her bottle.
You might have thought from our reaction that Caroline won the Nobel Prize when she (finally) picked up the sippy cup and took a swig of juice. We cheered and clapped with glee and she in turn giggled and clapped, perhaps proud of her own accomplishment or more astutely, pleased that she had pleased her parents.
My friend who works in college admissions recently told me that a number of applicants write their college essays about their mothers. Kids aim to please their parents their whole lives. It is always in a child's mind to wonder whether her mother (or father) would approve of her decisions and actions. This is such a powerful thought to a new parent whose main goal in life is to constantly please her child. No matter what Caroline does, I think she's wonderful. Today it's mastering the sippy cup that delights and thrills us. What's down the road? Sports accomplishments, good grades, elite colleges? I hope we never forget the small things she's already accomplished, that are really the hardest, like sitting up and saying "Momma, Dada".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f