Skip to main content

That Nose

"Elephant, elephant, you have a really long nose/Yes, my momma has a long nose, too/Elephant, elephant, tell me who do you love?/Oh, you know it's my momma that I love.""

We went to Denny's this morning. I slammed my French Toast Slam and slugged my coffee (you really can only slug coffee) while Caroline sat next to her Daddy, drinking from a cup with a straw and shrugging her shoulders and giggling. I blew her a kiss and remembered something my brother told me last week.

"My brother told me Caroline looks just like I did when I was little." This statement is a big deal to me because since the day she was born people have told us that Caroline looks like Andy. Or Andy's mom. Or Andy's brother. Or my mom. But never me. I've never been offended when people tell me she resembles anyone but me. She lived in me, I grew her and I watched and felt her come out of my body so I know she's mine.

I was pretty happy when my brother told me Caroline looks like me because it was the first time anyone has said this and it's just simple vanity to want a mirror image of ourselves to love and care for. (Hello, Mini Me, right? That guy's made a career from his role in Austin Powers.)

In typical Andy fashion, his response was less then pleasing to me. "Yeah- but, that nose." He has referred to my nose in this way before. And it didn't make me happy then either.

"What do you mean? That nose? What does that mean?" I called across the table. I could feel the anger-lava that always rolls around under my skin boiling up to the surface. That. It can be used to introduce a restrictive clause; it can be a demonstrative pronoun or complementizer. It can also be used in the English language up to seven times in one sentence. But it doesn't belong in a sentence before the word nose and in particular, my nose.

We all have a body part we'd like to trade in for a better model. I'd like to trade in my nose. If yin and yang attract one another, it must be why Andy and I are together. He has a perfect nose. His nose is the beauty and mine is the beast. Except when he kissed me the first time, my ugly nose didn't melt away to reveal a gorgeous, straight protuberance with cute little nostrils. It's still ugly. It always has been and always will be.

Wait, I take that back. When I was little it was cute. It was like a rubbery little button. It wasn't until fourth grade that my nose got longer, my nostrils larger and a fat, ugly bulb attached itself to the tip. For eight years of my life I was a normal, happy kid with a nice nose. Since that dark year of my life I've had to battle bullies on the bus and catty bitches in high school who constantly reminded me that I have a big nose.

I thought as an adult I could put my looks behind me. I thought people could see the funny, smart person behind the nose. An ugly nose like me could even get married. There is a god!
Until Andy tells me that I don't have a "normal" nose. It's always runny and my nostrils flare. Umm, Andy, is there a point in the conversation when you'd like to redeem yourself and give me a compliment?

I do hope Caroline's nose never changes. I wish for her a "normal" life with a button nose. A nose that doesn't drip. A nose that doesn't weigh more than your head. The only thing I can want for her is that if her nose does change one day, she'll be proud because it will remind her of me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...