Skip to main content

Balancing Act

At 9:30 a.m. this morning I was sitting on a hill in a lean-to, rain pouring down around me, yellow leaves scattering in the cold wind. I wasn't alone. My companion is the director of a local wilderness education center and I was speaking with him about, what else, internships. What I love about my job is that I learn all about what other people do for work and how they got there.

So there I am, little miss hate to camp, hanging out with Rambo/The Fugitive having an existential conversation about how people are killing themselves and the planet. By the time I left I was ready to sell my house and move the three of us to a closet-sized cabin in the woods.

I'm just like most Americans, especially of my generation, killing my grandchildren to give the most to my child. It's hard not to think about our impact on the environment. It's easier not to really care. Invention often brings us one step forward and two steps back. I'm not going to lie, I'm a big fan of frozen food and single servings. I love my truck and the convenience of disposable diapers, bibs and sippy cups. We just started recycling glass and plastic this summer. We are big-time consumers and I feel guilty about it but don't do much to change my habits.

The wilderness man and I spoke at length about his cause. What inspired me is that he has found is authentic vocation. When people ask him why he does what he does, he tells them he doesn't know what else to do. How do those of us focusing on everything else find balance in our lives? And how do we do it without the effort being superficial or trendy?

We also discussed another topic close to my heart. The more reliant I've become on technology, the more annoyed I am by it. Wilderness man asked me, how someone can have 350 friends on facebook and not have one real "friend"? When he asked me that, an awful image popped into my head: me and Andy, at night. I'm on the couch, hunched over the laptop and he's in the chair, practically super-glued to his. The TV is on. A million words could be, and need to be, shared between the two of us and instead we are typing away, trying to make a connection with someone who we've never met or haven't seen in 15 years, about a topic irrelevant to our current lives. Is it more important that Andy twitter about a new non-profit or that I tell all of my facebook friends that I'm "excited about the debate tonight" or "hungry and tired after working all day" or should Andy and I be telling one another about our days, mapping out our budget or tackling a house project together?

Life is about balance. We have to figure out how to balance work and home, job and play, friends and family. At the same time, we need to find a balance with our environment and individual needs and desires. I'm glad today to have Wilderness Man remind me that life is about more than me and I am the change I want to see in the world.

I should probably go now. I'm having a hard time finishing this up while I watch Dr. Phil and talk to Andy on the phone about all the things we didn't talk about last night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been