Skip to main content

The Un-Fight

Today my friend Lisa told me that she and her boyfriend are "un-fighting." At first read you may think this is a good thing and that Lisa just hasn't quite mastered grammatical constructions of the English language. You may think un-fighting is the opposite of fighting which would be not fighting. You've thought wrong.

Un-fighting is a special skill, mostly exhibited in men. It is a defense mechanism not all that far from the Men are from the Mars/Women are from Venus concept of going into one's cave. Let me provide you with an example, drawing of course, from my own life.

I'm reading a book about the marriage contract and the importance of renegotiating the relationship during certain points of life, like the birth of a child or loss of a job. I think the book is fabulous and wanted to share its thesis and finer points with Andy. To start, there was a dialogue of sorts:

"Andy, do you remember last week when I told you that if eight years ago I could look into the future and see our life now that I'd never have married you?"

"Mmm. Hmm."

"Well, this book says it's because we had created a relationship for ourselves, back then, with certain, set roles. And then, when we had Caroline, we expected those roles to stay the same and they can't."

"Mmm."

"So, we have to renegotiate our roles now. Then we'll be happier. Are you listening to me?"

"What...mmm...?"

"Andy, this is important and I want to talk about it. We need to renegotiate our contract!"

"Are you whining?"

"You are making me mad! I want to talk about this and if you don't then I'm going to call a therapist and then you'll have to talk about it! How's that?"

"Are you talking to me?"

This is a very common conversation in our house. If you can call it a conversation. Usually, I start the discussion with a question. I want answers and I want Andy to give me his full attention and to answer my questions. I pressure and probe. I start to yell. Andy, most often parked in front of the TV, stares at the computer or TV and avoids eye contact at all costs. It is the un-fight. How can you have a fight with someone who refuses to fight back? Sure, I can spend about five minutes arguing with myself but after that, the topic is dead in the water. I have no choice but to retreat angrily and go sulk while folding laundry. I mutter to myself for a bit longer. Maybe I come back out and yell at few more times, in hopes of a response, "Oh and yeah, by the way, the book also says that men are always wrong and you suck." This one gets a real rise out of him- total silence and not even a nod in my direction.

I like to win arguments and this lack of participation makes it very hard to determine a clear winner. Do I win if his lack of arguing is considered a forfeit?

I have my own un-tactic that I like to use in retaliation of the un-fight. It's called the un-sex. And let's be clear about this one. It is the opposite of sex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been