Skip to main content

Little Miss MisBehavin'

We had to have a talk on the way home tonight. I was tired and really wasn't prepared but sometimes it just has to be done when it has to be done. I was firm but not mean. I was honest but understanding. I talked a lot. She said nothing. In fact, she sat in her seat like a statue, staring out of the window. She was even borderline rude. It was like she didn't even hear what I was saying when she spoke right over me to declare, "Moo cow?!"

I'm exhausted every day when I make the return trip from work and it takes all of my energy to pick Caroline up from day care and get us home. I hardly know any of the parents there because we all come and go like zombies. Picking our kid up is a check box on the day's to-do list. At some point between cleaning dishes and washing out sippy cups, I read the daily activity sheet that the daycare provider completes to inform parents of the ins and outs of the little things we all miss while we are at work. It is then that I learn if Caroline did a poopy in the potty (high five buddy!), didn't eat her apple sauce and had music circle time. Most of my concerns on the sheet focus on a good nap and normal eating habits.

Until today when there was a significant amount of scribbling in the "notes" section of the activity sheet. I didn't even have to read it to know that it was bad. When I walked in the door to her room, Caroline was brushing the hair of her daycare provider, "Miss Eata", who looked thoroughly whipped. When Caroline fell on her way to hug me and the tears poured down her chubby cheeks, Eata rolled her eyes.

Caroline has been acting up for the past several weeks and today was the climax. What could it be, we wondered. We went through the list of possibilities- is she spending too much time with our friend's new baby and is, therefore, regressing? Are there too many little ones in the room influencing her to act like an 18-month-old rather than a 31-month-old? Could it be that she misses her BFF who is now staying at home instead of coming to daycare? Is her no-potty rebellion from lack of a current toddler-pottier role model in her room? Would the day care have to banish her to another room, the tough kids' room?

I was dumbfounded and embarrassed. How could my sweet, delicate, innocent baby do anything bad? How could those dimply arms push down another child? Can a kid with pig tails be a bully?

I called Andy on the way home and we discussed the issue at length. I told him how uncooperative Caroline was in helping me determine the cause of her angst. We came to the conclusion that a) she is modeling her behavior after another notoriously bad kid at the daycare or b) she has been staying up too late and is a groggy, crabby pants or c) she is just being bad because that's what kids her age do and it is ok to give her a time out or an old-fashioned spank on the bottom.

If she was a bit older I'd have told her no desserts after dinner and straight to bed after homework. But she's not older and she's still my baby so we settled on a nice long bath, lots of stories and a 30-minute earlier bed time. As I tucked her into her crib I was sure to ask her, "Are you going to be a good girl at day care tomorrow?" She kicked her legs, letting them bounce loosely in the air, smiled shyly and whispered, "Nnnnnooooooooo!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been