Skip to main content

Growing up Rosey

Sometimes, if someone were to ask me my age, I may quickly respond with a number between 18 and 22. And then I remember I'm now 31 and between me and my teenage years is a decade of the good, the bad and every growing pain in between.

My family loves to reminisce and like many, sees the past through rose colored glasses. We can all talk for hours about remember when. Most of us, who are lucky, may see the majority of their childhood this way. When life gets complicated or hard I wish that I could go back to being a kid. But I've forgotten just how hard being a kid was. One thing these days I don't worry about is who I am and what I stand for. I'm comfortable in my skin. I don't need to look like anybody else, do what anybody else likes or say what anybody else wants me to say. I have much to worry about these days but none of these are concerns on my list.

It's taken me a long time to feel secure with who I am. Life comes at me so fast I often forget that it took me 20 years to get to this point. Because I so often look at the past with the pretty, tinted lenses, I forget about the awkward and uncomfortable parts of growing up.

My cousin visited me this weekend and amidst running after little ones and ratting out our spouses for not doing the laundry, we fit in a few of those great childhood memories. After one story, her husband asked if she was really the diva-like, southern belle of our family's legend. The answer is yes, she was and that's who I loved as a kid. And I was the conforming non-conformist feminist. And she loved me for who I was. I grew up in liberal Massachusetts and she in the birthplace of Wal-Mart. She woudn't leave the house without makeup and I had purple hair. She had a drawl and I said wicked about things that weren't evil. We were products of our particular regions and while creating our own unique identities, we hid among the masses. For the last fifteen years we may have voted for opposing politicians and chosen different goals for ourselves but we have, more or less, gone through the same things at the same time and our growing pains have always kept us close.

Now we sit across from one another being our own unique selves, by-products of our upbringing and our hometowns. Yet, in our individuality we find ourselves very similar. Our political, religious and parenting views aren't all that different. Sure, we don't see eye to eye on everything but we have softened in our old age. As teens we spend so much time trying to be different like everyone else and as we get older we realize that while we are different, we are just like everyone else. And that's ok. My cousin and I are moms, sisters, friends, spouses, workers and cousins. We both recycle and shop at Wal-Mart and even if I were to take my off my glasses I would still see the two of us, now and then, with a happy, rose tint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f