Skip to main content

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

I like to read those "Kids Say the Darnedest Things" at the very end of mom's magazines. They are hokey as hell, but, honestly, are pretty funny. Little minds are working so fast to understand the world around them and they haven't realized yet what is ok to say and what thoughts to keep to themselves. This can make for some really interesting and highly entertaining conversations.

Speaking of conversations, I can't believe that Caroline and I are able to now have them. When she was a baby I would talk to her and of course, receive no response other than a smile or a squeal. After a year we moved on to one word conversations.

"You hungry?"

"Mana (aka banana)"

I've been amazed at how quickly the one word conversations became two words and now have turned into complete sentences, punctuated with humor and emotion. Sometimes I know exactly where the words and humor come from, and I'm scared at how well she is listening. At other times I have no idea where she comes up with the ideas that come out of her mouth and can't help but think, "kids say the darnedest things!"

Here are some examples of recent conversations we've had or statements Caroline has made about life.

Caroline is playing in her room while I decorate. I drop a picture frame on the ground.
Caroline exclaims, "Mommy! Don't scare me like that!"

Caroline and I are getting dressed for bed and I act silly and do a little naked shimmy dance for her.
Caroline exclaims, "Mommy! Don't scare me like that!"

I'm in the bathroom getting ready for work. Caroline comes in and sits on the floor and says after much contemplation, "Opa has boobies."

Caroline goes poop in the potty, blows a kiss into the bowl and informs me, "My mommy turd and baby turd are going to Nana's house."

My mom, dad, Caroline and I are having lunch at Friendly's. Caroline, who had been paying little attention to our discussion announces, "Nana. You are an old MacDonald had a farm."

I'm driving the car to work and almost jump out of my seat when Caroline screams, "Mommy. Stop the car. Now! I want to drive!"

We are in the car, again, commuting from work and school and Caroline calls me name and I see a little arm up in the air, with one finger crooked toward the back window, "Mommy. Is somebody back there chasing me?"

Is it what she says that's so funny, her often dead pan delivery or just the fact that she is so cute and I'm mesmerized by whatever she says? I'm sure it's a little bit of each. For now, I'm going to enjoy what she says before she moves up to the next level of communication and observation that might involve asking me why I have a big nose, announcing that a non-pregnant woman has a baby in her belly or heaven forbid, exclaims a profane phrase commonly tossed around our household.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

The guilt epidemic

Women are wonderful at time management and I've been told I'm tenacious about time-on-task and follow-through. Parenthood has really put a damper on my ability to follow a rigid schedule that enables me to do everything. When morning sickness showed up at week 5, I hung up my a.m. workout sneakers. Those shoes continue to collect dust although I'm proud to say they are dusted off once a week for 30 minutes. Just getting to the gym for that short amount of time has been a major accomplishment in a world full of parent-guilt. Guilt. A feeling traditionally reserved for Catholics has been spreading into the female parent population for the past fifty years and has become increasingly prevalent over the last decade. Lucky me to be raised Catholic, born a woman and now gifted with parenthood. I had a .01% chance of escaping the guilt-disease. I have "attacks" or "flare ups" when I decide to do something for myself. In addition to going to the gym once week, f