Skip to main content

Our Three Kids

Andy and I have three children; Caroline, Charlotte and each other. Most mornings, I wake up, run, and shower, and then I rouse the lazy daisies. I'll spend the next hour, sometimes gently, and more often angrily, demanding that the rest of my family get ready for the day. I scurry between rooms, reminding each of my family members about their next task: "Caroline, put on your shirt. Charlotte, brush your teeth. Andy, get off of the computer and go take a shower. Caroline, NOW! Charlotte, NOW! Andy, NOW!" The pattern is almost exactly the same each day. I can count on all three of them to be incapable of getting themselves ready without my cajoling.

Yes, you're right. You're thinking that my expectations are a little high for a 5 and 1 year old. Perhaps this is true. Perhaps I'm asking too much for my kids to independently dress and prepare themselves for school. What about my big kid? Am I asking too much of Andy, the only other adult in the house, who mind you, should be equally responsible as me for getting our kids ready each morning? I'll admit that I'm exhausted by the time I get in the car for work each day; tired of physically running around and sweating about Caroline missing the bus or my late arrival to the office; tired from nagging and nagging my family to do the same thing I asked them to do the day before and the day before that. I suppose kids learn from repetition but what about adults? Is Andy too old of a dog to learn new tricks and develop better time management skills?

From inappropriate wardrobe selection, eating candy for breakfast to not being able to pick up their clothes because they are engrossed in a TV show, I can't distinguish the bad habits of my kids from those of my spouse.

I have no choice but to lump Andy in with the kids. Lord knows how he'd survive without me. He'd go to work 3 hours late every day, completely disheveled, and leave our children waiting for him after school each day because he has forgotten to pick them up. It's my job to make sure that he gets out the door on time, wears something respectable (well, I try) and that he makes sure our daughters get to and from where they need to be without us receiving too many phone calls from panicked teachers.

Remember, at the beginning of this post I mentioned that we each have three children. In many ways, I am Andy's third daughter. My own dad didn't play a particularly strong role in my upbringing and I feel in adulthood that I'm often the parent and he is still the child. Anybody who has studied psychology knows that people may look to their lovers as parents. No, I don't have an Electra complex but yes, I do think that in many ways what attracted me to Andy was his fatherly qualities. I'll never forget the night that I confessed to him that I wanted to "push the baby carriage" with him. I didn't articulate, at that time, whether the stroller had a baby in it or if he was to push me.

Andy is my rock. Like when I'm with my mom, when I am near Andy I feel comforted and at peace. Just hearing his voice relaxes me. (That's funny- I'm sure my nagging, whiny voice doesn't have the same effect on him.) When I'm having a bad day, he makes it better. He helps me solve work problems, he intervenes when Caroline and I are at odds, he protects me from anyone who wants to harm me. He makes sure I'm warm in the winter and cool in the summer. He feeds me. (He is such a good cook!)He'd rather I fall asleep on the couch at night than go to bed in our room so that I'm nearby. I'm serious, he told me that once!

Andy is my rock. I look up to him and admire him. I'm also very proud of him, even when he is plunging the toilet for me because this seems to be one of those things I just can't figure out! I'll continue to put up with him if he'll do the same for me because everybody needs a little parenting now and then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been