Skip to main content

Today My Dad's Chewing Is Going To Drive Me Insane

Ever since I was a teenager I have had this problem. (Andy would say I have LOTS of problems, but this time I'll focus on this one). I clearly recall, one summer afternoon, after getting off my housekeeping shift at the nursing home, sitting at the dining room table having a snack. My dad was seated across from me, doing paperwork. He was eating an apple. With each crunch, and breath between, rage sparked inside of me. Crunch. Breathe. Crunch. Sigh. Crunch. My chest tightened and I felt that was about to explode with insane anger.

"Dad!" I asked as calmly as I could, "Can you please stop eating. So loudly?"

This comment sparked my dad's own rage and suddenly we were in the middle of a heated argument which ended in me leaving the house for the night. This was the beginning of my "problem" with certain sounds. A illness I have been plagued with for years. A secret I've hidden. Well, sort of.

See, this is how it goes for me. I suffer from fits of rage when I hear specific sounds. No, I don't get agitated at the sound of a clock ticking in a silent room or the tap, tap, tapping of fingers on a keyboard. I want to punch someone in the face when I hear human sounds, mostly from the mouth, and usually when someone is eating. Or swallowing. Or breathing. I know, you are thinking that I really am crazy or making this up. I'm not! Trust me. Ask Andy, or my kids, or the friends who've come to dine in our home who have watched me squirm in my seat as we all share a bowl of chips and salsa.

I do not like snarfing and munching. I do like like swallows or sighs. I do not like chomping or slurping. I do not like sneezes or chewing. I do not like sipping or coughing. I have to be on my best behavior at the family dinner table each evening as my children smile and slurp and chomp with their itty bitty mouths wide open.

"Chew with your mouth closed, Love!" I cheerily chirp while concealing my balled fists under the tablecloth. I have warned Andy to steer clear of me when I am standing at the computer and he is enjoying a snack. My arm wants to fly from the keyboard to his head when he stands uncomfortably close to me, leans over my shoulder, and snarfs into my ear. "What are you lookin' at....mmnnnnnmmmmm....munchy munchy breathe?" Oh Lord, help me! Help me before I hurt someone!

Andy thinks that this is part of my imagination. I've felt all alone with my issue; like I am a freak. I had even thought about looking online for a support group until one morning when I saw a piece on the Today Show about several people who suffer from Misophonia. Well, this was double the validation for me. A name to my issue AND it was seen on the Today Show, the most accurate source for all news in my life. Misophonia, or dislike of sound, is a condition that little is known about and there is no known cure. Just my luck!

People, I am serious! To give you a better idea about my dislike of sounds, here's a great NY Times article that pretty much sums it up for me. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/health/06annoy.html. I still have yet to figure out how to manage my issue and hope that it never causes a fist fight like it did with Frank back in my teen years. I like what the afflicted Donna McDow suggests in the article, which is to say you have a headache and leave the table. This is a good tactic and an excuse I've used before for other reasons.Yeah.

Don't feel weird around me if we are eating together. I still love you. I'll just hate you for the 10 minutes that I sit across from you and you slurp your soup and much your crackers, and uh, breathe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been