Skip to main content

A Creative Piece Part II

She stood at the refrigerator with the door open, staring. A lack of interest, and little success with cooking, left her inept in the kitchen. She stared past the jar of pickles, the hummus that someone had eaten partially with their fingers, the half consumed pb&j sandwich, and the well-stocked-with-beer bottom shelf. Nothing came to her mind. Not just about what to make. Nothing at all could fit in her head that pounded and was too full of thoughts and to-do's. She shut the door and sighed. A small child banshee screamed and careened at her, a small plastic chair flew across the dirty linoleum floor and bounced off of her legs. She closed her eyes and promised she wouldn't yell because she was better than that. She'd promised herself she would not take her tiredness and stress out on her children.

She opened her mouth and shouted: "Knock it off! You- put that chair back in your room. You- stop screaming. Stop. Stop. Stop. I am tired and I had a long day and Mommy needs you to set the table!"

Little eyes innocently blnked up at her, "What are we having for dinner? I'm so hungry! I'm so hungry!"

She picked up little blinky eyes and patted her hair. "Popcorn and Capri Sun." The children shouted with excitement and ran away, barking like dogs and leaving the plastic chair in the center of the kitchen. Almost zombie-trance-like, she popped the popcorn while checking facebook and eating an Oreo. A little red icon popped up on her screen and she smiled. So-and-so-liked her re-post of the weather forecast.

"Mom! Mom! Mommy!" called her eldest.

"Not now!" she shouted. "Mommy is busy!" If only she could have a moment to herself, she thought. She just needed to shut her brain off for a minute and then she could handle the rest of her night. She had a million emails to return, a million more emails to initiate, and a general feeling of guilt that she wasn't doing enough at work. She looked around at the dirty kitchen floor and toys strewn about the living room. She had a million projects around the house to complete, a million things to clean, and a general feeling of guilt that she wasn't doing enough housework.

The microwave beeped a reminder for dinner. " Awww, Shit! Shit!" She swore too loudly and tossed the burned bag of popcorn into the trash. The last bag of popcorn. "Hey guys! We're having graham crackers and peanut butter for dinner!"

She served the "meal" on paper plates and felt guilty about the number of times she looked up at the clock to see how long before bedtime. She corraled the kids into the tub and stopped counting how many times she shouted at them to stop splashing. She plucked her eyebrows and stared at the person in the mirror. When did she stop being 21, she wondered. Wasn't that just yesterday? She thought it funny how much she looked like her mother.

The phone rang and it was her mother. They talked about their upcoming mother/daughter trip. Her mom asked if she was ready to leave the kids for a few days and fly states away from them. "Mom, I'm so over feeling guilty about stuff. I can't wait." When her mom asked if her husband could handle being alone, she reminded her mom that she was alone with the kids all of the time and it was no big deal. She hung up the phone, combed hair, helped brush teeth, read a bartered 6 stories ("If I read 6 stories, you have to go to bed right after and no crying."), and gave lots of hugs and kisses and good night wishes before crashing onto the couch with a cup of tea and an Oreo. She thought about how hard it was to do the bedtime routine without her husband yet how much easier it has become since the kids have gotten older. She glanced at an old photo of the kids and missed them as babies and felt guilty about wishing the time away.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi there! My name is Cameron and I was wondering if you'd be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog. You can reach me at cvonstjames AT gmail DOT com - Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t

Spoiler Alert!

It's no big shock that I opened my mouth and got myself in trouble earlier this week. This time it was my virtual mouth, and we all know that can be the worst. Saying something stupid, online, is like spreading a highly contagious virus. Speaking of which, with all of my recent coughing and sneezing, I've been really good at spreading a germy virus around. I teach students to be social media savvy, and gosh darn it, I did so as recent as yesterday. I provide them with some rules to protect them from looking like a virtual ass, but low and behold, I fall victim to assiness every once in a while. How am I supposed to know every single rule in life, and particularly online? I'm just a simple human being, with a big mouth, who wants to over share! So, here's what went down, if you didn't get pissy pants over my FB faux pas. I watched the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday night. Andy was in the can and I just needed to talk about the episode. I needed t

LAX

Some people may think that Andy and I are "lax" parents. Our house isn't a free range farm by any means, although just throwing food on the ground, and letting the kids wander around and pick it up when they are hungry, sounds pretty enticing. It's true that we aren't the strictest parents and that, regularly, there is mutiny on the bounty and we are held hostage by little pirate people. The drill sergeant in our house is 3 feet tall and belts outs commands like, "Get me a drink!", "Turn on Netflix!", or "You will not wash my hair!" while wearing only a pullup, squinting her eyes, and pointing an accusatory finger in our direction. Our kids are often in charge. I'm not going to lie to you. The dog may also be in charge from time to time. That's just the way it goes. As more and more of our peers have a third child, we are, unfortunately, asked if we, too, plan to expand. Are these people insane in the membrane? Have they been