Skip to main content

Socially Acceptable Avoidance Techniques for All

This morning, while in the shower, I heard the door to the other bathroom close and I cringed. At first, I thought it was odd to have such a visceral reaction to something so benign. Then, I realized why the clicking of the door closed bothers me so much. The only person in the house who actually closes the door to the bathroom is Andy and, when Andy closes the door to the bathroom, he doesn't come out for a very long time. Without getting too much into TMI, I know that the important work of the potty takes more time for some than others but NOT. THAT. LONG! After 25 minutes pass, when I can do nothing because asking if he is ok or done is awkward, I start to wonder what exactly is going on behind that door and why being in there for so long takes priority over spending time with his family. But again, it's silly of me to be sad and missing my husband while he is in the bathroom because everybody poops.

In addition to time in the bathroom, Andy dedicates much of his time to work. He has four jobs and there are only 24 hours in the day. Do the math: this means that he never has enough time in the day, or night, to do all the things he's tasked to do. Dude wins the Gold Medal in every event of the Busy Olympics. He is always coming or going or texting, typing or talking. He wakes up listing off his to-list and falls asleep with his phone poised in his hand, mid email. Now, I work, too, but I have one paid gig and I practice setting boundaries. Plus, my brain shuts down if I don't have down time. After a tough day at work, or with the kiddos, I love to make memes, read Onion articles, ride my (totally sweet) bike, or have a fun conversation that gets me belly laughing, especially if the conversation is with Andy. He's incredibly serious so if I can make him laugh, I can go to sleep satisfied.

I don't get to make him laugh enough- because he's working. He wakes up and works and then he keeps working. After he's done working, he works some more and then when he thinks he can't work anymore, he works. Luckily for him, he takes tremendous pride in his profession(s) and his work aligns directly with his values. (That's the golden ticket in the career development practitioners' world, FYI.) Andy greatly values community building and improving the lives of others and he does both very well. I know this, not because he's my husband and I'm all proud but because EVERYBODY, AND THEIR DAMN MOTHERS, TELL ME.

You know this story. It's in my book of legends.

On a flight back from California. Lady next to me starts talking to me. She lives in upstate. I live in upstate, actually Cooperstown.

Here we go.

Oh, do you know Andrew Marietta?

Eye roll.

Whether I'm in a restaurant, the grocery store, library, pool or at my own place of business, I am told, over and over again, that Andy is great, Andy is helpful. Andy was so kind and spent 4 hours one evening helping their board. Or drove 6 hours, just one way, on one weekend, to attend their one hour planning session. That Andy, he's a non-profit super hero.

I'm not kidding. Someone said that. I can't make that up.

So, I've acknowledged this before, but more as my own green envy, but this week, in the shower, I had a moment. I realized that it's not Andy's professional success, or the attention he gets, that really bothers me. It's that, in doing all this great work, he's not paying attention to me. Andy receives praise for working. For working so hard. So often. All of the time. It's hard to tell someone he's being shitty to one person when he's being so helpful to many others. It's not like he's out misbehaving.

But why? Why does Andy work so much?

Yes, we have bills to pay, but I have a paycheck, too.

Yes, his employer is demanding but so is mine.

Yes, the people he serves need to be served outside of the 9-5 but so do my people.

Yes, he has four jobs, but I am the primary caregiver. That's like 4 jobs or at least a bad, unpaid internship that never ends.

Yes, he loves what he does but so do I.

So, what is it? What drives Andy to work so much? Why does he receive recognition for what he does outside of the home when I feel like I'm scorned when I tip the balance and work more than I parent or give time to my spouse?

And, how can I be mad? It's not like he's out drinking or gambling or taking part in activities that aren't deemed as socially acceptable avoidance behaviors. He's working, really, really hard. I must be an ungrateful wife for complaining.

I'm not ungrateful. I'm just calling his bluff. And my own bluff. And yours, too. Just because you are doing something nice or kind, or helpful or socially acceptable, doesn't mean it's ok to avoid your family. We all need to stop being so busy because there is no such thing as the Busy Olympics. We're only busy to avoid whatever it is that we don't want to deal with, or are too tired, or overwhelmed, or bored of dealing with.

But, please. Just, please, come out of your bathrooms. Put down your laptops and cell phones and talk to the people in your home. They are annoying and loud and needy and weird but they love you and you don't want to look back and wish that you'd spent more time looking at their memes and less time playing Candy Crush on the toilet while they waited for you on the other side of the door.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...