Skip to main content

The Incredible Mom



When my brother Jared was a kid he had a stretch Hulk doll. You could pull on any part of his body, head, neck, arms, legs, torso. You could twist him into knots and throw him against the wall and he'd bounce off before thudding to the ground. Jared tested the Hulk's limits on a frequent basis, and abused the doll for his personal amusement. One day the Hulk had been stretched an inch too long and he ripped in half. Even the special elastic action of the incredible Hulk could not withstand the constant stretching and repeated abuse of an active child.

Lately I've been feeling a lot like the little guy. While I don't turn green and grow tremendously large muscles when I'm mad, I do feel like I'm being pulled in just about every direction possible and I'm worried that my fate is going to be similar: ripped in half and left in the trash as nothing more than a fallen hero.

For much of my life I've been able to choose where to focus my energy. Most of the time it has been in school or in doing something fun. I'm a decent multi-tasker so adding work and a serious relationship didn't have a significant impact on my lifestyle and for a time it may have even energized me. Time was on my side in those days. I did what I needed and wanted to do and I did it completely. Why run 2 miles when you can do 10? Why work during the week when you can work on the weekend, too?

Now, I run from one place to another exasperated and frustrated. At work, I pull Caroline's hair ties from my pocket and think about the fact that someone I don't really know spends more time with my baby than I do. At home, I pull out the "work-to-do" folder from my purse but I'm too tired after putting Caroline to bed to think about work. On the post-work drive I think about how nice it will be to catch up on the day with Andy, but by the time we are both home and not occupied with household duties and Caroline care, we are either too exhausted to talk or too worried about work to relax and have fun.

It takes me six months to send a thank you card and my biggest efforts in maintaining friendships are writing one liners on people's facebook walls or sending text messages. That 10 mile run has become 2, so why does it feel like I'm running a marathon each day?

I wish I had more time and more energy to be a better friend, a better mom, a better wife and better employee. But, I don't. I'm not elastic and I don't stretch very well. Yet, I'm just not sure how to do all it. We all have our limits and I'm still testing mine. So, if you see parts of me in the trash can, please don't throw me away. I've bought some super glue and I'd like for you to try to glue me back together. Maybe then I'll finally learn my lesson that it's better not to stretch oneself too thin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When The Team Won't Follow the Leader

I am aware that there are some critics out there who think that Andy and I are kind of loosey-goosey parents. Some think we don’t have enough rules or enough structure or discipline in our family. I’ve always felt really bad about this because, from one perspective, I can sort of see what they are talking about. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel guilty about being a shitty parent. My thoughts before passing out each night, exhausted, are about how I could’ve done a better job today and that I really hope I can do a better job the next day. Tomorrow is a new day to make rules and implement them, right? But I finally figured out what the missing link is for me and Andy and why we just can’t be the structured, rigid, disciplinarians that we “aspire“ to be. The other day I was picking up the kids. When we were driving home, my mind was racing with about 50 different things I needed to do at home and at work. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really present in the moment with the kids even thoug...

Charlotte's Story

What can you do in seventeen minutes? Watch an episode of your favorite sitcom without commercials? Run two miles at a good clip? Eat a meal, or in Andy's case, microwave a meal and then eat it? Have a baby? Because that's what I did. You heard me right. I birthed a baby in seventeen minutes because I am a machine. I am a machine ! I am a baby birthing woman of steel. I am not much of a bragger and you may recall that I was never good and never bad at anything. I have no particular achievements to tout, academically, physically, professionally or otherwise except baby birthing. I'm really good at this and I'm pretty darn proud of it and I'd like to brag about it to you now. This is Charlotte's birth story. For the first four or five months of my pregnancy with Charlotte, most people forgot that I was even pregnant. This does happen to you with multiple pregnancies. I never forgot that I was pregnant. Morning sickness heart burn and frequent bathroom t...

The Perennial

Turning 40 is hitting me like a ton of bricks. I’m talking somebody standing at the top of the Empire State building with a wheelbarrow of bricks that they throw on top of me as I stand on the street. Every brick that catapults toward me has a different message: Your hair is getting gray. Your eyebrows are thinning. The skin on your neck and elbows is getting soft. Your hands are wrinkly. Your midsection is getting softer and rounder. You wear progressive glasses. You wake up and go to bed really early. You talk about things like vitamins and retirement. Your back hurts when you get out of bed and when you stand too long or when you sit too long. You think about taking Metamucil or Fiber One to keep you regular. You have one glass of wine and feel hung over the next day. Your kids talk about buying bras and getting their period. You should have stood up straight as a kid because now your neck and back are stuck in this awkward, turtle-like position, and it...